Talk

Advanced search

Reception parent evening

(4 Posts)
feelingthechill Thu 17-Mar-16 19:01:56

It's my second parent evening for my 4.11 yr old DS coming up and I'd like to be a bit prepared. The first was a lightening quick overview of how he'd settled in and built friendships and that was about it. I didn't come away feeling that the teacher had any specific insight but to be fair, it was only 3 months into the first term.

Now the second meeting and I'm not sure if I should be asking anything specific. There are no obvious problems as far as I can see, and my DS seems happy, is making progress with reading and has friends.

What else should I be trying to find out, if anything?

Thanks for any advice!

Ginmummy1 Fri 18-Mar-16 08:30:28

I asked something similar recently: see thread here

We receive a report today, and parents' evening is next Tuesday/Wednesday, so DH and I will identify any specific questions after the report.

I think the main concern is still whether he is happy, and has fitted in well into school life: which it sounds as though your DS has. Do you feel he is being over-challenged, or not stretched enough? It sounds as though his reading is coming on well, but what about writing, maths?

Maybe ask whether the teacher expects him to reach the expected level by the end of the year?

It's such a delicate balance between being 'that 'parent' with all the questions, or just being fobbed off.

feelingthechill Fri 18-Mar-16 16:52:01

Thanks Ginmummy. Yes, you're right, it's a delicate balance, and there's also not really much time allocated - I think last time it was eight minutes! As to whether DS is being over or under challenged, to be honest I have no idea. He can cope with the reading books he brings home, but I have no other gauge. He's my only child so I'm new to the whole school environment and I feel a bit uninformed!

sunnydayinmay Fri 18-Mar-16 17:01:10

In my experience, the teacher will know any points they want to raise with you.

So, with ds1 (bright but lots of sensory and anxiety issues) they focussed entirely on his behaviour. I don't think academics were mentions until year 2!

With ds2, it was always about his handwriting, even in Reception.

In Reception you really need to know how they are coping in class, do they mix well, have friends, are they able to contribute, listen, focus etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now