Wetherby, North Bridge House, Devonshire House, Thomas's Kensington

(11 Posts)
Almab777 Thu 17-Mar-16 12:34:57

Moving from overseas we are debating where to move to Hampstead or Kensington.
We have boys and we know that the best school is Wetherby, what are your views on this school? How is the communications with Parents? On the phone they say that they not have even place on the waiting list and suggested another school in Hampstead St Anthony's? Is the "no place on the waiting list" just marketing? How is St Anthony's?
Do you know Devonshire House or NorthBridge House?
How About Thomas's Kensington?
Thank you

CruCru Tue 22-Mar-16 17:35:06

Hello, I have seen St Anthony's and Devonshire House. I absolutely LOVED St Anthony's, the head was fantastic and the school was lovely.

Having said that, I know a few people who are very happy with Devonshire House.

I only know the other schools by reputation.

TRL Tue 22-Mar-16 19:12:45

What ages are your boys and which of the schools have places for them?

AnotherNewt Tue 22-Mar-16 19:23:14

Wetherby is always oversubscribed (as are many London preps) and if it says it's not accepting any more on to the waiting list, it means it.

There is no one single 'best' prep in London, it all depends on what sort of DC you have and (vaguely at least) what sort of secondary you think might suit them, plus of course your own ideas about what are the desirable features you want in your DC's schools. For example, Thomas Kensington finishes at 11+ and you might not want a shift then (though there's near as dammit guaranteed transfer to Battersea or Clapham until CE)

MaxRobespierre Sun 27-Mar-16 11:40:41

We can only comment on North Bridge House. And it is a thumbs down.

Our children attended NBH for a number of years, and frankly it was a very disappointing experience.

1. The quality of teaching fluctuates from teacher to teacher (logical) but a) there are many more downs than ups & b) the school does nothing to address these.
2. Facilities are poor, with hardly any investment.
3. No Sports strategy & facilities: Regent's Park might be 300 yrds away & NBH might claim to make use of it, but NBH is bottom of the league (humbling beatings) in pretty much any sports activity vs their peer school. That's the measure of things.

At the bottom of this there is one reason: P&L. Cognita is more focused on profit for owners than on children's education. Below 2011 article on another Cognita school reflects 100% our views on 2016 NBH.

www.theguardian.com/education/2011/apr/10/private-firm-profits-free-schools

Sorry.

Almab777 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:58:58

Thank you for your tips
AnotherNewt my children are 8 and 3
None of the schools have places at the moment a part from st Anthony's which nobody seems to know, which is daunting

Hamptons99 Mon 18-Apr-16 10:05:35

Almab777 it sounds to me you will be living in the Kensington area? Go to www.knightsbridge-village.com It's a private network just for mothers in that neighbourhood with loads of parents at the schools you mentioned. You'll get relevant support and insider info on availability and how to get your child in! Good luck

Patriboots Fri 17-Mar-17 20:46:44

St Antony's incredible school. Made a massive positive impact on my children.

North Bridge House should be investigated. Head Mistress of Secondry School Ms Masefield bullies her staff (those that stick around) and point blank lied to my wife and I. Watch the eyes!! Like Kaa in Jungle book🐍

OreoDream Sat 18-Mar-17 06:44:17

You have a slightly odd mix of schools on your list OP - quite a big range of quality and academic standard.

NBH has a not very good reputation.

Wetherby & Thomas's excellent, Devonshire good, I can't comment on St A.

Just wondering, why those particular schools? Are the many others in the area all full?

user1490307837 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:37:28

I don't know much about the Hampstead schools but Wetherby and Thomas's Kensington are both excellent schools. Wetherby is ofcourse a boys only prep therefore has a different vibe to co-ed. It is also more academic in the early years with many boys leaving at 8+ to Westminster School which arguably the top school in the UK for boys. Thomas's is altogether more gentler and the girls and boys who go there have more time to mature with less "hothousing" in the early years. Thomas's has a reputation of bing a very happy school. Every family I know there is happy.

user1490307837 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:40:32

And I second Knightsbridge Village if you know for sure you'll be living in Kensington. It's more of a "club" for mums in the area and there'll be many in the community with children at these schools you can tap for direct information and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now