Reading numbers

(15 Posts)
ViewingEnded Mon 14-Mar-16 14:01:30

Hi all, just a QQ.

At what age (year group) would you expect a child to be able to read 9 digit numbers?

TIA

Fink Mon 14-Mar-16 14:08:09

Nine digit numbers as in 100,000,000 or as in 974,532,817? I think most kids could get to the former relatively quickly (end of Year 2?) as it's just a question of learning hundred-thousand-million-billion, but actually deciphering complicated nine digit numbers would take longer (aka, I have no idea - I've met 14 year old who couldn't manage it and 10 year olds who could, I don't know what the average is).

irvine101 Mon 14-Mar-16 14:18:40

My ds in yr3(8) can easily read it.

ViewingEnded Mon 14-Mar-16 14:20:05

The latter fink. Anything ranging from 1 - 999,999,999 and getting them correct every time.

Thank you both.

TeenAndTween Mon 14-Mar-16 16:44:12

For a lot of children, I would think secondary age.
Below average, DD2 age 11 couldn't read it (just checked).

TeenAndTween Mon 14-Mar-16 16:44:58

(by 'it' I mean Fink's example)

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 14-Mar-16 17:55:13

Year 6 I would think.

The curriculum expects that children should be able to read numbers and understand place value to 10,000,000 by the end of year 6. By the time you get to that, I would think that many children would be able to use their knowledge of place value and the number system to figure it out.

ViewingEnded Mon 14-Mar-16 18:22:24

Wow - thanks for your replies. The child who has prompted me to ask is 5. Yr R.

catkind Mon 14-Mar-16 18:54:23

It's a simple trick once they've got the three digit part. So I'd think it's more a case of when it occurs to them to work it out, or someone to teach them. OTOH it hasn't occurred to DS yet afaik, year 2 and a big maths fan.

mrz Mon 14-Mar-16 19:01:49

We have an autistic 3 year old in nursery who can accurately read very large numbers (9digits +) but doesn't have any understanding

Lurkedforever1 Mon 14-Mar-16 19:24:21

No idea what the average age is. But I'd say if dc have a maths/ logic type thought process then it's not a hard concept to grasp. It's just a case of what do you call the column before the hundreds, and what's the one before that, and so on. In short as soon as they get the idea of tens and units and have the language skills to remember the words. If numeracy is just logical to you then it's very simple, even at a young age.

If you mean for dc who aren't that way inclined, and need to actually learn it, at a random guess I'd say well into mid/ late primary.

MsMermaid Mon 14-Mar-16 19:29:02

My "average" year 7pupils needed me to teach them how to read such big numbers this year, but it only took about 10 mins for the whole class to get it.

Once they can read 3digit numbers the rest should be easy if they've got a logical mind and somebody teaches them.

ViewingEnded Mon 14-Mar-16 20:39:35

Thank you everyone. The child in question definitly has a logical mind. I was just curious as to how out of the ordinary it was for one so young to be able to read (and understand) such large numbers.

Lurkedforever1 Mon 14-Mar-16 21:29:39

Even though I said it's easy if they have a logical mind, I wouldn't say it's common. But cos kids don't have linear development and nobody keeps any data on able kids, it's impossible to say how rare it is iyswim.

mrz Tue 15-Mar-16 06:01:59

I did a a EYFs maths course years ago and they suggested introducing numbers to a million plus by reception.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now