Reception level work books

(10 Posts)
airhostess Fri 11-Mar-16 20:59:56

Hi,
What work books would you recommended to buy for a keen and able 4yr old. In particular Maths, writing and science.

KohINoorPencil Fri 11-Mar-16 21:01:49

A four year old does not need workbooks.

They need to read and be read stories, recipe books, magazines, poems and other forms of writing. They need to write birthday cards and shopping lists.

For numeracy, they need to count naturally. Cook with them, count things in your environment, sing nursery rhymes and make patterns and shapes with Lego.

irvine101 Fri 11-Mar-16 21:04:01

Diary?

airhostess Fri 11-Mar-16 21:31:48

Thank you for your opinion.
Looking forward to some recommendations.

irvine101 Fri 11-Mar-16 21:40:48

If you go to WHsmith, they sell lots of workbooks for each age/year groups.

This website has selection of free websites on each subject you can explore.

gws.ala.org/

Luna9 Fri 11-Mar-16 21:58:48

Also Amazon: Collins books and maths and English made easy by Carol V.

I have a dd in reception and have bought her many different workbooks as she likes to learn at home too.
Wilko have some great ones ( wipe clean also ) as do asda.
There's no harm in buying some.
At dd recent parents evening her teacher praised her literacy, phonics, reading etc but said she needs to work on her numeracy.
To be honest the big push since September has been literacy so we haven't really done much maths but have dug out her workbooks and she's willingly doing them a few times a week.
I try to make as much as I can about learning eg when shopping will ask her how much how many...
It all helps, good luck op, it's also preparing our dc for year 1 which is a lot more formal towards learning and will probably be using workbooks in school.

irvine101 Sat 12-Mar-16 07:01:57

We bought workbooks from local library.( Our local one sells many different ones for £1.)
At this stage/age, I think anything will do, unless you have specific targets.
For writing, I recommend writing diary(My ds used to do it everyday, half drawing, half words.), and also writing story using writing wheels(My ds used to make one from paper plate.)

Irvine that's a great idea over the diary I think I will try that with dd as she loves writing "sentences" some of them make no sense! And she likes to draw so brilliant idea, thanks

airhostess Sat 12-Mar-16 14:20:48

Thank you very much for the constructive advice. Much appreciated x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now