Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do the new grading system developing, expected and exceeding

(5 Posts)
givemeavodka Wed 02-Mar-16 16:52:23

hi how do the new grading system by year group ie. Developing, expected and exceeding compare with the old levels 3a 4c etc for year 5 for example. Thanks.hope this makes sense.

Stompylongnose Wed 02-Mar-16 17:03:18

You can't compare them side by side as the new system requires more knowledge.

My son in y5 would have been 4c in maths under the old system but is developing under the current system because of gaps in his knowledge for y5. The teacher is hoping to get him to expected for the end of y5.

thisagain Wed 02-Mar-16 17:38:43

Is there such a thing as excelling, or have I misheard what was being said? I thought my son's teacher said that there was a fourth level but then no-one ever seems to mention this.

mrz Wed 02-Mar-16 18:29:02

There is no national grading system schools are free to make up their own assessment scales against the new curriculum. So not only can you not compare against the old curriculum you can't compare with other schools.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 02-Mar-16 18:30:10

They don't compare at all. It's based on different things than the APP grids and trying to decide whether a child meets the level descriptors. There's less emphasis on mental maths and more on arithmetic. There's a big focus on spelling and grammar and it isn't enough to write creatively. There's less scaffolding and pupils are expected to be able to find out information much more independently.

Age related expectations aren't graded according to the age of the pupil either, so it's the same whatever time of year a child's birthday is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now