Talk

Advanced search

Reception reading silliness

(47 Posts)
kippersyllabub Sun 28-Feb-16 19:22:55

Dd can read her school books pretty accurately: perhaps needing help or making a mistake on one word per book, or doing the whole lot without making a mistake.

For the past few books, she has refused to read the books properly and inserted silly words in the sentence. She's reading everything on the page but saying fart, poo, bum, toilet etc as well. (Think "the magic poo key began to fart glow") My approach so far has been to say "no extra words, please, just what's on the page", but this hasn't stopped her. I'm sure I can up the ante and give her more of a telling off but I don't like making mountains out of molehills.

Should I ask for her to be moved to some more challenging books or will her teacher think I'm batshit crazy? Should I simply wait for this to pass? I think her comprehension must be pretty good as she tends to insert the inappropriate words in appropriate places.

irvine101 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:44:58

Tell the teacher what she is doing and ask her opinion? Maybe she might agree, that the books are too easy for her. I don't think there's nothing wrong with asking teacher for advice.

KohINoorPencil Sun 28-Feb-16 19:53:15

Hmmmm.

I think her comprehension must be pretty good as she tends to insert the inappropriate words in appropriate places.

I would disagree- she is guessing, not reading.

I think it is a behaviour issue tbh. I would be happy to discuss this with a parent though; it's hard to say for sure without knowing your DD well.

Spandexpants007 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:54:59

The books sound utterly boring

Heartbroken4 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:57:44

Reception books are utterly boring and written for linguistic particle not coherence.

KohINoorPencil Sun 28-Feb-16 20:00:26

The vast majority of school reading books are utterly boring and tend to be endured, rather than enjoyed.

SavoyCabbage Sun 28-Feb-16 20:03:25

Ahhh, the poo bum stage. I remember it well. Why do they love it's so much?

Anyway, she's not reading it correctly. She's getting it wrong. Either make her start again or write in her reading record 'Jane made a lot of mistakes tonight with this book.'

irvine101 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:09:30

How about if you let her read the books little bit harder(from your own or from library) to see if she still does that? If she still does the same, you'll know it's behaviour issue rather than reading level issue.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 28-Feb-16 20:20:22

Why would you write that DD make a lot of mistakes when she didn't - inserting a word is not making a mistake in reading, unless it is guessing at words which could be there but aren't, and I really doubt the kid actually thinks those words are there.

She's just trying to make an utterly boring activity less boring to her. And sounds like she's found a creative solution. I'd take the knowledge that DD is bored, and tackle that - different books from school, or just get through them and spend more time on more interesting books.

mrz Sun 28-Feb-16 20:23:34

Inserting words is an error just as omitting or substituting words are errors.
Are the shool sending home ORT Magic Key books?

PerettiChelsea Sun 28-Feb-16 20:25:02

She sounds like a character (which is a good thing) don't worry about it, poo etc is hilarious when you're 5. See if she can read something a bit more chLlenging, a simple line from a newspaper or recipe or something

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 28-Feb-16 20:28:37

mrz but without the context that it is inserting words out of boredom of the crap book. Writing "lots of errors" in the reading record provides no information to anyone reading it. So either the reading record is an utterly pointless make work device, or if anyone is actually reading it writing that would fail to communicate any information.

Writing, "KipperDD inserted POO into sentences" would be the appropriate thing, not "made lots of errors", one gives information, the other doesn't.

Pedestriana Sun 28-Feb-16 20:29:43

I had this the other night. Threatened to write in the diary (which is read by the teacher) what she was doing and it immediately stopped!
DD finds the books boring when she's read them through once, as her story comprehension is good. Hopefully she'll be ready to go up another level soon as she's doing well with the ORT ones.

mrz Sun 28-Feb-16 20:34:42

Bored or not (and we don't know that she is bored ) she's not accurately reading the book therefore it's an error.

The teacher needs to know what's happening at home. Is she reading accurately at school? I'd suggest giving her a break fro home reading .

KittyandTeal Sun 28-Feb-16 20:40:30

As a reception teacher I'd say she's not making mistakes at all. She can read perfectly well and is choosing to deliberately insert a word, she not misreading a word.

The books (as well as being horrifically boring and making everyone want to gouge out their own eyes) are probably too easy. Have a chat to the teacher rather than writing it in the reading record and ask.

While she's still doing it I'd stop her after every sentence she's inserted a word into, don't mention the word but in a very emotionally dull tone just say 'not quite try again' you'll then get 'the magic poo wee key' and just repeat 'try again' and keep making her read the same sentence without any reaction from you apart from 'try again' until she reads it correctly the do a 'well done' but not too over the top well done.

t1mum Sun 28-Feb-16 20:44:15

Well it sounds like she doesn't want to do it. Either because bits are too challenging, or because it's too easy, or because the books themselves are boring. My DD has started performing her books in the style of musical theatre. But she needs help on 4 or 5 words per book so I don't think she necessarily needs to go up a level.

Have a chat with the teacher and say that your DD seems less engaged in reading at home. Maybe they could try putting her up a level or perhaps find some different books at the same level?

irvine101 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:55:08

I don't understand a lot people say that those early books are too boring.
Yes, it is boring for us adults, but is it really boring to the children learning to read? My ds was a really good reader, and in reception, he used to bring home 3 books a day, and read really easily, but never said it was boring. He just seemed to love to read any books available.

Pico2 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:58:29

Obviously it depends on the level of the books, but I don't think that reception books are necessarily boring. My DD has ones that are truly banal (ORT) and ones which are really interesting (Big Cat Phonics seem good).

KohINoorPencil Sun 28-Feb-16 21:09:01

but is it really boring to the children learning to read?

Yes!

For some children it is hard. There are so many things they are trying to do at once and the story lines can be so dull, they don't want to push through and find the end.

Some children do love being able to read, others don't.

KohINoorPencil Sun 28-Feb-16 21:15:32

Let's add Ginn 360 to the banal list.... I pester my HT daily about how awful they are.

My next tactic is to make her hear 27 renditions of 'Digger ran' in one week grin

irvine101 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:17:40

But if the really short book is too boring for some children to read for learning purposes, they(school/teacher/parents) need to come up with better ideas then. When my ds was learning to read, he was reading anything, everything, street signs, ingredients on food packages, instruction on electronic device etc, etc. He was decoding everything he can see.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 28-Feb-16 21:36:48

I'm pretty sure "they" do irvine101, the fact that DD spends barely five minutes a week on her school reading books hasn't held up here reading at all, they're just discounted. If she had a narrower vocabulary, or more difficulty in decoding, or a smaller working memory, or simply enjoyed the achievement of completing a book. Then the books would be more relevant I'm sure, as they are, they're just not part of DD's way of learning, not least because they are not interesting.

drspouse Sun 28-Feb-16 21:43:28

Does the fact we're getting this stage now (just 4) mean we will be over it by the time DS starts reading?
Please say yes.

catkind Sun 28-Feb-16 21:55:51

Deliberate errors are not guessing. Does sound like she's not really engaged with the books and I'd want to try to find out if that's down to the particular books or just a silly phase. What does she say if you ask her? Does she like the books? Are there other home/library books she'd rather read? But KittyandTeal's strategy for stopping it sounds good too, I wouldn't just let it go because it would annoy me.

I don't think it's at all inevitable that reading books should be dull. DC didn't generally find school reading books dull. None of the year 1 class I help appear to find school reading books dull. Maybe we've been lucky in the books our schools had, or it's in the way you talk around the book with them, or in not trying to do more than their attention span, or in having books that are neither too hard (slow slog) nor too basic (not interesting).

irvine101 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:56:08

When he started school, my ds was so happy that they had so many books. He brought home 1 reading home work book, and 2 books from class/school libraryeveryday , and insisted to read all of them . He never said any book was boring.
He just enjoyed being able to read any book so well.( And all the books were so short, like 24 pages with big letters and lots of pictures.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now