Talk

Advanced search

Standardised tests

(5 Posts)
Arewenearlythereyetmum Sat 27-Feb-16 23:12:16

My DD is eight and is in her first year at prep school (year 4).She has just done SS test and results were 131in English and 130 in maths.It says the national average is 100.How good are these results,I would kind of like to know before I ask school.Has anyone had a DS or DD do these tests?

spanieleyes Sun 28-Feb-16 08:31:05

A standardised score of 130/131 gives you a percentile score of 98 which puts her in the top 2% nationally. How good she is in comparison to the rest of the class depends on how many more of them are also in the top 2%! In a "normal" primary school, in a rural fairly deprived area,over 10% of my class fall into this percentile for English and/or maths, I would imagine in a selective prep school the percentage would be much higher.

LIZS Sun 28-Feb-16 08:34:53

Over 130 is considered very high. Average is 85-115 There is a tolerance of 5% either way. The more important question is if and how the school apply the results, other than to produce a fancy graph.

LIZS Sun 28-Feb-16 08:36:31

And yes , dc non selective hmm prep had an "average" score of 108.

Arewenearlythereyetmum Sun 28-Feb-16 09:19:41

The teacher did say they help the school decide which senior school might be best for your child to apply to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now