Talk

Advanced search

Do I tell school to poke it?

(24 Posts)
SatsGrrrr Thu 25-Feb-16 09:53:23

My DS in year 6 has dyslexia, problems with working memory, processing speed etc etc.
Since year 3, he has been struggling and I have been asking the school for help for him - they told me he didn't have dyslexia and was fine (diagnosed privately in year 5). He has not received any extra help at all sad
This week I have received a letter saying he can now get extra help after school for two hours each week and what a fantastic opportunity this will be for him.
Now, I'm not stupid, I know this is just for their bloody Sats and I'm really angry about it. I've been pleading for help for him for 3 years and he has had nothing and yet he can now receive an extra two hours every week just so they can boost their Sats results angry
Would I be unreasonable to tell them to poke it? It's after school and he obviously doesn't have to attend. I realise this would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face because he could really do with the extra tuition, but it has really annoyed me.

Hennifer Thu 25-Feb-16 10:00:20

I understand your annoyance but yes it would be very unreasonable to refuse it. It's about your son's needs and if he is finally getting some help, then please don't obstruct it.

starry0ne Thu 25-Feb-16 10:00:48

I would arrange a meeting saying you want support for his dyslexia and ask them how to do that..My Ds has dysgraphia and 2 hours of pushing the same thing would not make a jots worth of difference except make him feel worse about himself....

I do know our school is classed as Dyslexia friendly so has lots in place that all the kids do but lots of stuff that can help your child extra tution isn't the only thing.

Hennifer Thu 25-Feb-16 10:01:30

By the way I went through the same thing, almost exactly, except our school never did offer him any extra help.

As a result he ended up separated from his friends and pretty unhappy for about a year.

You have to look beyond your annoyance at what is best for him. I think you probably know that and are just venting.

Topsy34 Thu 25-Feb-16 11:19:15

Incredibly frustrating, and annoying, but I would take the extra help and speak to head and make your feelings know.

greenbloom Thu 25-Feb-16 17:30:26

I would be a little cautious and find out what the extra help consists of before you agree. See if you actually think it will help.

PerspicaciaTick Thu 25-Feb-16 17:35:14

^^
What greenbloom said

Piratespoo Thu 25-Feb-16 17:37:00

Why does it have to be after school? Tell the, you'll have in school time instead. If they think he needs it and they are willing to pay for it, how can they say he can't have it in school time?

mary21 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:41:25

Another benefit is, hopefully if the school is now recognizing his dyslexia it will b on his secondary transfer documents which may help accessing help at his next xchool

PotteringAlong Thu 25-Feb-16 17:43:46

I'd tell them that you would be fully on board with any help they can give during the school day but that after school is not going to happen.

bloodyteenagers Thu 25-Feb-16 17:46:04

I would ask what the extra help entails and who will be providing this extra help. How long will this be for, and why it has to be after school. And how the 2 hours will be split across the week.

Once I have all the info then I would make a decision.

I would also be asking them how they are making adjustments for him on a day to day basis.

Does he need coloured paper for example and are they providing this? Different colour back ground on computer screen. If using a computer, what software are they using.

SatsGrrrr Thu 25-Feb-16 18:26:35

Thanks all.
You're right Hennifer I probably am just venting cos they bloody annoy me so much.
I've had many meetings, mostly a waste of time. I think because he is behind but not behind enough iyswim.

I don't know why it has to be after school as he will probably see it as a punishment! You're right I will ask why it can't be in school time.

Ds has told me he had a lesson with the teacher that will be taking it and she was teaching them phonics - He knows his phonics and has known them since year 1!! He is quite good at reading, it is his writing that is the problem! So, no, I'm not sure it will help him.

I don't think they are recognising his dyslexia as the tuition is for quite a few kids who are behind. They have not made adjustments for him in any other way, other than saying he will get extra time in tests hmm.

mrz Thu 25-Feb-16 19:14:32

The reason it's after school not during school hours is that it's additional lessons not support. In school hours it would replace other lessons which would be pointless.

Feenie Thu 25-Feb-16 20:26:52

she was teaching them phonics - He knows his phonics and has known them since year 1!! He is quite good at reading

How's his spelling?

All of our children right up to Y6 learn phonics, and some decent secondaries.

Feenie Thu 25-Feb-16 20:50:23

Do the same (Lost half my post there).

The Dyslexia Institute recommend systematic, rigorous phonics teaching.

runningouttaideas Thu 25-Feb-16 21:19:45

OP I know exactly where you are coming from about it being just in time for SATS left until the last minute. I've seen the same happen and it is very frustrating knowing that some needed it all along. It will help him as others have pointed out, although it is going to be more tiring for him also having the extended school day. I suppose you could look at is as "something is better than nothing" smile.

AimHigh100 Mon 29-Feb-16 04:18:33

Support after school for a child who had the difficulties that you described, is not ideal. Although it's what most parents are forced to find and provide, school ought to be providing it during the school day when he/ she is less tired.

mrz Mon 29-Feb-16 06:44:06

The school isn't offering after school support to a child with difficulties they are running after school SAT boosters to groups of Y6 pupils.

Stompylongnose Mon 29-Feb-16 06:53:47

My son has been getting literacy help during school hours. He became a free reader this year (y5) and is fine at maths but writing is a big problem.
While the others attend assemblies, his group do sessions of phonics (to help spellings), handwriting and spelling (they do spelling rules and high frequency word recap) and writing. He doesn't attend comprehension and maths (which is at a different time).
These sessions started in y3 and out of 60 in the year they invite 15 children to get the help.

SatsGrrrr Mon 29-Feb-16 09:18:36

The school isn't offering after school support to a child with difficulties they are running after school SAT boosters to groups of Y6 pupils

Exactly, this is what has got my goat. They have given him nothing for years but now expect us to help THEM for their Sats figures angry

Feenie His spelling is fantastic in tests - 10/10 but less so when using the same words in his writing wink

Cookingwine Mon 29-Feb-16 12:07:36

IMO it is also a box ticking exercise for the school to show OFSTED inspectors etc. But if what they offer is useful I would go for it.

rosebiggs Mon 29-Feb-16 12:30:28

What do you think he needs help with specifically op?

SatsGrrrr Tue 01-Mar-16 10:50:37

I have no idea rosebiggs grin. He is an enigma. He has good ideas in his head but the time it takes to get from his head onto paper it gets lost somewhere confused. His handwriting is very scruffy, spelling bad. His reading is fine and he loves books although doesn't love reading them (prefers me to read them).

greenbloom Tue 01-Mar-16 18:57:11

It's actually not that unusual - although that is probably not much comfort. It is very useful to get students with this kind of difficulty to check their work over by reading it slowly out loud to themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now