Abingdon Prep

(4 Posts)
Kanga59 Mon 22-Feb-16 20:46:15

I'm considering this school for my son. Does anyone have recent experience they can share please?

I have questions such as, What is the student demographic, amount of homework, sport for all or just the talented ones, sizes of classes, do they have a second hand uniform shop, how many extras per year - hols for example, how often do they swim and where? I'm interested in everything really. We are visiting in a few weeks . Thanks

blossomflower55 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:03:26

We have current experience (good!) - a really thriving school with high academic standards but where the children can be themselves and feel included. It's a small community where all of the staff know all of the children and so it feels safe and personal. Lots and lots of clubs and activities so talent is discovered and encouraged to flourish. There is a swimming pool (not huge) where the boys have a weekly lesson. Sport is definitely important, but it doesn't matter if they're not brilliant, they all get to represent the school at some level. So if your son loves sport, fantastic, but if not he will find something else to excel at. Also lots of opportunities to take part in music and drama. Pastoral care is really strong and, although there's no doubting boys will always be boys, they all know and respect each other and seem genuinely happy. We definitely feel it's been a good choice.

blossomflower55 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:11:24

sorry...to answer your specific questions....class sizes, not more than 20 (2 classes per year). Yes, there's a second hand school uniform shop. Yes there is homework - I think that depends on your child and how much time they're prepared to spend doing it, but by year 5/6, probably around 45 mins per evening, plus some project work in the holidays. The student demographic is a bit of everything really - people come from all around and there are a fair few children of different nationalities (in many cases because their parents are on a placement for a couple of years in this area). It all makes for an interesting mix and keeps it real. It's definitely not a "posh" school and has children from varied backgrounds.

Kanga59 Fri 04-Mar-16 20:38:29

Do you work there?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now