Hill House v Devonshire House v Chepstow House

(6 Posts)
TheAussieGirl Mon 22-Feb-16 10:16:01

My DS has the opportunity to attend these schools starting Year 2 in Sept. Any advice on the above schools would be greatly appreciated. Even after the Ofsted report I still really like HH. We are moving him from his current school as it is too small and the teaching is aimed towards the girls that will stay on to do the 11+.

nwmum1980 Tue 23-Feb-16 00:01:42

Cannot comment on the other two ( you may not find too many people that can compare the 3 because they are in opposite parts of London - people will either know schools in the NW or SW) , but can say that Devonshire is a lovely school and a fantastic community. The ethos is nurturing and inclusive and they tend to cater to children of all academic abilities and interests. The head of the junior school is fantastic and has really made positive changes in that particular branch of the school since coming on board. This is evident in the strengthening of its reputation in the last 3 years. In my opinion is has surpassed most of the Hampstead Preps ( of which there are many ).

Their 11/13+ results are quite good and improving every year and most importantly children are happy. There are of course parents that have niggles with the school from time to time, but I have yet to meet an unhappy child throughout the year groups.

Best of luck to you with the move!

TheAussieGirl Tue 23-Feb-16 09:02:40

Thank you for the comment on Devonshire. I really quite like this school as well. Great facilities compared to say NBH. I went to visit NBH and didn't think this compared at all. Location wise we are smack in the middle b/w all the schools and all would be doable. HH has a buzz that I have always liked and I have friends at Chepstow that swear by the school, however boys are guinea pigs as the senior part of the school is very new. I don't suppose you know why Devonshire isn't in the Good Schools Guide?

nwmum1980 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:54:04

Not sure about good schools guide - I've never really used it so can't say.
It's tricky when a school just opens up a senior branch - chances are slim that it will exceed expectations in the first few years as there are always administrative as well as practical kinks to work - and the other unintended consequence while you wait for the senior school to establish itself is that the established junior branch is disincentivised from preparing kids well for 11/13+ . I could be wrong but I think that's what went wrong w NBH as its reputation has really taken a hit in the last few years. Although I hear they are quite good at getting boys into stpauls at 13

TheAussieGirl Tue 01-Mar-16 09:50:24

Thanks again for you comment. We have chosen Devonshire. The more I read about the school, the more I like it. I am also looking forward to some mornings in Hampstead as I forgot how lovely it is..

Hamptons99 Wed 02-Mar-16 17:03:58

I looked at Hill House for my daughter. It's jolly, quite traditional. A very international parents community largely from Chelsea so might be difficult to arrange playdates/get families to make the journey to your house. Their fees are also much cheaper than other comparable schools in the area. I know so many families who are very happy with the school. Ultimately the recent negative OFSTEd report put me off I'm afraid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now