Talk

Advanced search

Altrincham grammar school questions about application

(4 Posts)
Iofthetiger999 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:46:53

Hi everyone! I am looking into entry in Altrincham grammar school for boys and girls for my son and daughter. I know about its great reputation but I have a number of questions. Incidentally I did contact them directly but they were very reluctant to give information to these answers.

1) Does anyone know how many applications they typically receive(last years info would be great)
2) The number of spaces available(in and out of catchment area)
3) Will enrolling my kids into a feeder school such as Bowdon preperatory school and Altrincham preparatory school for boys DIRECTLY increase their chances of enrolling? I am not concerned at the claims of the school but whether Altrincham grammar school will place and advantage on the application.
4) Can anyone who's child has been enrolled to this school give an idea of expected pass marks? I know this is classified but I am going to have a guess of 75-80%. Am I in the right area?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Inkymess Sun 14-Feb-16 20:26:43

My understanding is the primary school makes zero difference - it's all on score and performance

Inkymess Sun 14-Feb-16 20:39:09

Look at the 11 plus forum - it's full of Trafford grammar threads

Twowrongsdontmakearight Tue 16-Feb-16 21:50:02

Hi. You need to get in touch with the schools to find out when the open evenings are. All the sort of questions that you are asking are answered during the headmaster's talk then - I've just looked on the AGSB website and the new applicant information meetings are on 20th and 26th April. The AGGS's one is on 23rd June - From memory the pass marks tend to be 80%+. There are 7 or 8 classes of 30 in each year so 210-240 places.

Sending DC to Hale prep or similar doesn't buy advantage with the grammar schools but they do coach more heavily. About half of the DC in both DS and DD's year at state primary went to the grammars which was about the same as other local primary schools. Lots did have a tutor once a week in Y5 though. Percentages are probably higher at the preps as I assume they don't have the same ability spread. Your money, your choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now