Talk

Advanced search

Kumon or maths worksheets found on the web?

(14 Posts)
Xantheticus Sun 14-Feb-16 10:06:33

I know this topic has been covered a bit but I'm keen to hear if anyone has a new perspective on Kumon vs maths sheets for children struggling with maths.

My impression is that Kumon works really well for some kids (though not others). From what I hear structure of the program works really well for a while but after a while kids hate it and don't want to do it. The cost is massive.

My experience is that sourcing and monitoring worksheets myself is time consuming and the habit of doing them daily can slip away easily.

Haven't had much luck with maths apps or online programs. They seem to cause too much stress. Would love to hear some thoughts on best approach to help a struggling 9 year old with maths.

slkk Sun 14-Feb-16 10:13:08

Do you know what areas he is struggling with? How about explore education at sainsbury. Apparently it's good fun and effective.

irvine101 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:13:45

Have you tried

www.khanacademy.org/math

It's free.

Xantheticus Sun 14-Feb-16 10:27:40

Slkk, he's struggling with everything from remembering times tables, basic arithmetic and applying maths concepts to real life

Xantheticus Sun 14-Feb-16 10:30:51

Slkk, is the program Explore Learning?

slkk Sun 14-Feb-16 11:08:17

Sorry yes explore learning. They run sessions at sainsbury and other places and use computer games to identify and work on weaknesses. They are adult supported and seem to be enjoyable.

slkk Sun 14-Feb-16 11:11:27

If you want to work on something with him, knowing number bonds to 10, then 20, then 100 and then really knowing times tables are a gift for children who struggle with maths so you could start with those. Worksheets from primary worksheets.com are great for daily practice and time table sheets can be created on timestable. Me I think.

ChalkHearts Sun 14-Feb-16 14:58:05

Dads worksheets (http://www.dadsworksheets.com/) are good for Kuomintang style practice of the basics.

Piratespoo Sun 14-Feb-16 15:33:23

Try URBRainy. They have thousands of worksheets and my dd hates maths but quite likes doing them.

irvine101 Sun 14-Feb-16 15:52:10

If you really like work sheets, you can buy kumon work books online.

www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kumon+mathematics&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3170758379&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9ioa8c21wi_b

Xantheticus Mon 15-Feb-16 09:58:54

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I've been looking through the websites. Maybe it's best to keep plugging away at the worksheets. I like the idea of Kumon but the cost is massive for basic arithmetic drills

Sara46 Mon 15-Feb-16 10:14:09

My dd does Kumon, it's really helped with her maths. We've seen a big change in her ability since starting it.

loubielou2 Mon 15-Feb-16 22:15:32

Please try The Maths Factor, online, Carol Vorderman. Videos with useful explanations, £9.99 per month. Not at all like your usual online programs. My son loves it. If you have a child who loves computers, gadgets etc., online is the way to go and less like the traditional maths lesson.

asnmdirteha Sat 28-Jan-17 13:03:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now