Year 6 maths Sats test

(40 Posts)
Washediris Thu 04-Feb-16 18:57:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrz Fri 05-Feb-16 06:52:09

The situation is that no one knows what the expectations are (regarding how many correct answers will be required to achieve a scale score of 100 , the expected standard) so all schools can do is get on and teach the curriculum.
Some schools are panicking others are taking a more pragmatic view.

Feenie Fri 05-Feb-16 07:27:28

I agree with that, it's all any of us can do.

Of course, the Maths simplification materials published (eventually) last Friday should have helped but are full of mistakes themselves. On page 6 an example was given that was billed as 'working towards expectations', but by Wednesday it had changed to 'working at expectations'.

No explanation was given (think they were hoping no one would notice) but any advisors, coordinators or teachers who diligently printed them off between Friday and Wednesday and shared with colleagues will have used materials which are already out of date. There's also a mistake where an incorrect negative number answer is marked as correct, and another mistake in a fractions example. It's a disgrace.

And don't get me started on the non-existence of any exemplification materials for writing, supposed to be published last month.

They have no idea what 'expected' looks like themselves and are making it up as they go along.

Washediris Fri 05-Feb-16 16:13:54

TeenAndTween Fri 05-Feb-16 16:24:14

From my point of view, the maths DD is being given is
a) at the level she is at
b) useful
c) will be built on at secondary

The G bit of SPaG is
a) mainly beyond her, as they are teaching the complicated stuff as well as the easy, when she is still trying to master the easy
b) not useful (the complicated stuff)
c) will be ignored at secondary (the complicated stuff)

(For context, DD finds school hard. On the old system I think she would be borderline L3/L4)

Washediris Fri 05-Feb-16 16:45:23

Washediris Fri 05-Feb-16 16:49:04

TannhauserGate Fri 05-Feb-16 16:54:30

Sorry, could someone tell me, is the new 100 score linked to specific skills and knowledge? Or will the 100 standard vary from year to year according to the ability of the cohort nationally?

SpeedingSnail Fri 05-Feb-16 21:45:39

I also think it's unfair how this year's year 6 have had this dumped on them without the correct amount of years to prepare. It's more than a little unkind.

This. My youngest is already learning the stuff needed for the SATs and is still in key stage 1.

spanieleyes Fri 05-Feb-16 22:01:35

We THINK the 100 score will vary from year to year. It is a standardised score so one year say 75 might be needed to achieve 100 and the next year it might be 81, but we won't know until after each test is marked what the "pass" mark will be. However this year's testing arrangements are apparently "interim" ones so goodness knows what will happen next year!

Feenie Fri 05-Feb-16 23:09:35

Spanieleyes, have you seen the Hertfordshire tweets today?!

Feenie Fri 05-Feb-16 23:10:59

m.facebook.com/litshed/posts/996008930479375

TannhauserGate Fri 05-Feb-16 23:48:45

What is 'scaffolded', please?

Feenie Sat 06-Feb-16 00:07:49

Help with structure, e.g. subheadings such as 'Superpowers' or 'Enemies' given to help a child write a Superhero report in Y2. (Off the top of my head on a Friday night with wine )

Feenie Sat 06-Feb-16 00:08:29

That's obviously just one example.

Feenie Sat 06-Feb-16 00:13:35

SpeedingSnail, I'm not use what you mean - your child is being taught the curriculum, and will be tested on that at the end of KS1. The children we are talking about have been taught one uncertain year, plus one panicky one on top. Your child will at least have the advantage of being taught the entire curriculum they will be tested on - but this year's Y6 have not.

Feenie Sat 06-Feb-16 00:15:38

Sure, not use.

My stupid autocorrect also thinks exemplification means simplification. Go figure!

Feenie Sat 06-Feb-16 00:19:12

V. Heavily scaffolded = sentence starters, vocab, subheadings - so much help that every child's work ends up looking exactly the same. No independence whatsoever.

TannhauserGate Sat 06-Feb-16 00:35:48

Thank you, Feenie.

mrz Sat 06-Feb-16 07:00:48

The magic 100 is a scale score rather than a standardised score and according to the DfE the number of marks (correct answers) needed to achieve it will vary from year to year to allow for any variations in difficulty in tests.

SpeedingSnail Sat 06-Feb-16 07:37:57

feenie exactly, my youngest will be fairly tested as they will have the background but my year 6 child won't, it's so wrong. They have been given cgp revision books by school and encouraged to do extra work at home. I've not yet decided whether to let them or not, the school are dangling a carrot as you get a raffle ticket for every three pages you do and they all go into a draw after the tests are over. I think they should relax out of school.

Lucsy Sat 06-Feb-16 07:44:54

I do not want my daughter to do these tests. She has had a shocking year and her confidence is in the floor anyway. What a load of pressure, when nobody knows what's going on or what will happen. Surely this years cohorts results will be completely meaningless anyway?

I am currently trying to work out whether I can stop her doing them altogether, however it seems to be the case that if she doesn't sit them this spring, then she may have to sit them at high school in December as I believe that's the govt. intention for all children that don't meet whatever score they think.

I wish the teaching unions would organise some sort of boycott.

mrz Sat 06-Feb-16 07:50:00

I'm afraid you can't withdraw your child (only keep them home for the week) and it's unlikely that unions will take industrial action (boycott).
Children taking the tests next year will be faced with resits in Y7 (if plans go ahead) but not this year

Lucsy Sat 06-Feb-16 07:52:46

Yes I realise if I send my child to school, they will have to sit the tests. My Dd primary HT is checking this.
I will keep her at home for the week if this is the case but after many discussions with HT I don't believe she would get me fined for this.

spanieleyes Sat 06-Feb-16 08:19:15

Feenie-thanks for the tweets link.

MY year 6 writing was moderated last year-by the county chief assessment adviser! She has a rather different view, no success criteria, no scaffolding, independent writing weeks AFTER the genre has been taught, cross curricular. They practically had to re-invent the wheel themselves! I'm at a county moderation workshop next week, it will be interesting to see what her message is this year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now