Talk

Advanced search

Homework in Year 2

(13 Posts)
wineandharibo Wed 03-Feb-16 10:42:11

How much Homework do your Year 2 children receive either daily or weekly? DS (7) is in Year 2 at an independent school and gets about 3 minutes worth of maths per week perhaps 3 weeks out of 4. There is also a reading book but it is not compulsory.
DS has friends at different schools who get homework both daily and weekly. Also, there was more homework last year in Year 1 but this year its very hit and miss.
Not a big deal but DS loves school and school work/ homework. He loved all the projects, research, model making, writing last year and then getting the opportunity to bring it into school. We still do stuff at home now for that reason but it just made me think if this was actually unusual.
I spoke to his teacher who said: 'I'll look into it' but this was weeks ago.

learnermummy Wed 03-Feb-16 10:50:20

My DS is in year 2 and gets weekly spellings and maths and English weekly on an alternating basis , probably 20 mins/ half hour each week on top of spellings. Also has a reading book and we're supposed to read daily.

irvine101 Wed 03-Feb-16 14:25:21

My ds used to have similar amount of homework to learnermummy's ds in yr2.
Can you bring in the stuff your ds did/made for show&tell kind of thing?
My ds has taken in something he made to show it to others in school. They encourage it.

Letustryagain Wed 03-Feb-16 14:27:30

My DD is in Y2. They have one piece of homework a week and until this week, had a set of spellings to learn aswell.

The piece of homework is always something simple and can take as long as you want it to take. For example, this week's homework is to write extended noun phrases about three of their favourite toys. Some children will write more and some will write just three sentences. Both of which are totally fine.

In addition they suggest 10 mins of reading every night.

FilthyRascal Wed 03-Feb-16 14:32:07

My dd is 6 and in year 2, also at an independent school.

She gets 15 spellings once a week and a reading book (though she's a free reader and reads all the time so we often don't bother, just read whatever she fancies at bed time) that's it.
I bloody love it. She does tonnes of extra curricular things, play dates, trips with us plus a good chunk of relaxing at home with a movie or some Lego. I think they've got so much time for things like that when they get older and they are still so little, they don't need more work out of school after a long day.

If your ds likes writing or model making etc then just do it with him anyway. smile then there's no pressure, he can do what interests him. If it's on topic I'm sure you could take the odd thing in to share with the class.

dottyaboutstripes Wed 03-Feb-16 14:38:11

My kids go to a school with a no homework policy - though daily reading is expected/encouraged plus weekly spellings

TeaT1me Wed 03-Feb-16 14:40:40

I'm impressed they've not jumped in the homework bandwagon! Embrace it smile follow year interests, sport, craft etc.

BarbarianMum Wed 03-Feb-16 14:53:20

In Y2 mine had 1 piece a week (30 min-1 hour), plus reading and, after Christmas, spellings. All voluntary but strongly encouraged.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 03-Feb-16 21:54:17

sometimes a short maths or english exercise and then some project work to do at some point in the term (given out at the beginning - due in at the end - can do whenever they like and they can choose from a list of tasks). 10 spellings a week and then reading every day. not much really.

Radiodependent Thu 04-Feb-16 20:05:07

Ds gets 14 spellings, a page of maths and two more pages of English puzzles or sentence writing. It takes about 30 mins a week. It's consistent and we get the whole half terms work bound in a booklet so we know what's coming up. On top of that there is the option to do mathletics or a French app if they want and a reading book (free reader so he chooses and also sometimes reads his own stuff instead). He is 6.5, y2 in independent school.

Foxedme Thu 04-Feb-16 20:54:36

DD has spellings, a maths sheet and a word search/close or similar activity given to her on Friday to be in by the following Thursday at the latest. She also has a reading book and reads most days. I think this is average. I have friends with kids in other school who have more.
There are heaps of stuff online you can print out to use. The school homework policy might be on their website, if not you could ask to see it...?

Bounced Thu 04-Feb-16 20:58:46

Spellings to be done three times in a week (10 words). 20 minutes of topic (will be writing but could be a story, geography, science, grammar etc) and 20 minutes maths. This is per week, and they aren't meant to do more than their 20 minutes. I love it - gives her plenty of time for other things.

Galena Thu 04-Feb-16 21:02:12

Weekly maths and SPAG (Spelling, punctuation and grammar). Reading book - expected to read daily. Also reading journal (activity linked to reading book) to complete once a week.

If I'm honest the time taken for the homework is very variable each week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now