Lack of ability to concentrate affecting school work

(15 Posts)
Feckinlego Mon 01-Feb-16 11:02:25

My ds is 8. I had a meeting with his teacher who says his work is not up to standard and he's not completing his work. She thinks he's immature and disorganised. I've to work with him at home with spellings, handwriting etc. But I'm not sure that's enough. Anything else I could be doing to help? Thanks.

Floowho Mon 01-Feb-16 16:58:00

Practising spelling days of the week and months of the year would help him with writing the date. Loads of fine motor activities can help: cutting, threading, Hama beads, Lego.

DonkeyOaty Mon 01-Feb-16 17:05:35

When was his last eye test?

lljkk Mon 01-Feb-16 17:48:18

Do 8yos exist who aren't immature & disorganised?

Feckinlego Mon 01-Feb-16 18:01:10

That's what I thought lljkk! Apparently not confused. His last eye test was 2 years ago. He is a bit flighty/head in the clouds. Doing extra 'school ' work with him is no problem. I just can't help thinking it won't address the actual problem iyswim? Your advice is much appreciated.

Ferguson Mon 01-Feb-16 18:01:27

Get him to read to you, if you can; if not, YOU read his school books to HIM, and try to make them as exciting/ amusing as you can.

Encourage him to write a diary or journal, or a 'recount' of something he has enjoyed. If he doesn't want to write, get him to dictate a story or recount to a tape recorder, or into a phone that records. He can play it back, amend if necessary, and try to write it up when he he is ready to.

To help with his reading, writing and spelling try this book:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

Floowho Mon 01-Feb-16 18:26:36

There is so much pressure on teachers about children's presentation of their learning. That could be where this is coming from.

KohINoorPencil Mon 01-Feb-16 18:36:11

Cut out screen time and early to bed. If he likes a routine try to make sure his mornings aren't disrupted.

When you say he's a bit 'head in the clouds', what do you mean? Can you picture him sitting in his bubble in class and then not knowing what to do or not having enough time?

enderwoman Mon 01-Feb-16 18:45:17

I have a 9 year old who's similar. He was telling his older siblings and me how to daydream in class without the teacher catching him.

When I work with him I find that I need to set up the right conditions. If it's a school day he needs to have downtime, a drink and snack (or dinner).I get him to wear his glasses (which are a very weak prescription so maybe a psychological thing), go to the loo then start work. This is about 5:30-6:30 for him. I find that after 7pm doesn't work at all.
On weekends, after breakfast works the best as he's rested, fed, watered and has the reward of playing afterwards.
The things I'd check
hearing and sight
shoes - Are they waterproof? (Wet socks distract) Any wear and tear? (some children adjust the straps very frequently)
Uniform - Are his pants or trousers too tight or baggy? Any loose seams on polo or sweatshirt? (My son would fiddle with it) Are his sock elastic a the right tightness? Any itchy or annoying labels?
Who he sits with- Are they chatty? Are they disruptive in other ways?
Where he sits in the classroom- Is he near the radiator? Is there glare from the sun?
Hair - does he have nits?

Feckinlego Mon 01-Feb-16 18:45:21

He gets no screen time during the week, only since Christmas though. His teacher said if she gives him 10 minutes to do something, he'll daydream for 5 then panic and rush it, making his work sloppy. He sits at the front, uses the quiet table etc. She is making allowances as in he doesn't have to complete all work, just enough for her to know he has understood. She feels he is very capable. Iq testing show he's average/high everage on all subjects. Reading is above average but we've read to him since birth. I really don't know where to go from here, other than extra work on different subjects.

Feckinlego Mon 01-Feb-16 18:49:38

Lol enderwoman you have a clever boy there! I don't think it's anything 'sensory' like that, but there's 28 in the class and distractions do happen. He's a very sensitive boy and freezes if he's challenged at all and he just can't think or do anything then. I had hoped he'd grow out of it but so far not yet hmm

KohINoorPencil Mon 01-Feb-16 18:58:05

Children like that can be so frustrating because you know they are totally capable of the work and they do. not. show. it!

I think he needs to try and get himself organised mentally. Maybe he could try a task board on his desk- so, name/ date- tick. Underline heading- tick- which takes him through the steps and he can see progression.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 01-Feb-16 19:01:55

I have an 8, nearly 9 year old who is highly distractible and disorganised. I think it goes with the territory of being 8 (and at the risk of a flaming I would say it's more of a male thing). No advice, just sympathy!

Feckinlego Mon 01-Feb-16 19:02:43

That's a great idea kohl I think that would work really well for him! I think this could be applied at home too. I think I'll speak with his teacher to suggest it. Thanks for the tip!

Feckinlego Mon 01-Feb-16 19:04:05

I fear you're right on the male thing. He's totally like his dad grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now