Talk

Advanced search

Sorry it's another bookband thread...

(13 Posts)
Badumchhhhh Fri 29-Jan-16 07:54:12

DS has just turned 6, in Y1. Teacher told me in October that he was in the next-to-top phonics group and no concerns about his reading. He reads most nights with us, gets a book sent home about 3 times a week.

He's been on yellow book band (ORT / phonics bug) for months and months, interspersed with some other schemes at seemingly the same level. He's had what feels like hundreds of the extension books, ie no new sounds. According to the charts online, these books are intended for second half of reception.

I'm absolutely not pushy, fine for him to be at whatever level he is. He loves books which is the most important thing. But is there any cause for concern? Why if he's one of the more able readers, is he still on YR books when halfway through Y1?

Ginmummy1 Fri 29-Jan-16 08:57:07

How is his comprehension? Is he able to guess might what happen next, and describe how a character is feeling? Sometimes a school might keep a child 'back' in order to encourage greater comprehension and inference skills, without the added complication of more challenging content.

If your gut feeling says it isn't this, I'd suggest you have a polite word with the teacher, perhaps to mention that he seems to rattle through his books very easily, and you wondered whether he might be ready for some slightly more challenging material. Perhaps pitch it along the lines of asking what he needs to improve on in order to be ready for the next level.

In the meantime you could also get some books from the library that are a bit more challenging for him.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 29-Jan-16 09:55:14

I would ask. It does seem a bit odd. Unless the 2nd top phonics groups was false reassurance and they are working below expectations. It could also be that the books they send home are at a lower level than the work they are doing at school.

Greengrass1982 Fri 29-Jan-16 11:52:43

I've been topping up at home I bought the higher book bands and my daughter would read them with me.

backinschool Fri 29-Jan-16 13:42:10

I would just ask. At our school the kids get a new book every time they finish one (so 4/5 books a week for DD) and they read to the TA around once a week but the teacher only hears them once every half term. She is the one who decides to move them up so they can get stuck on one level for ages. DD was bored of the book band she was on because we had read all of the books at least once so I politely asked the teacher whether there was anything we needed to work on so she could move up. The teacher agreed it would motivate her so listened the next day and moved her up to the next band. DD is happy because she has a new shelf of books to choose from (I'm less happy because the books are just as boring but are longer - sigh. We read lots of great books but DD likes to read her boring school book first and I don't want to discourage her).

I don't think the book band matters too much as long as you read lots of different books at home but some kids (like DD) like to read their school books so it's nice if you can get them moved on and I don't think teachers mind you asking.

Gobbolino6 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:21:39

I would ask.

catkind Fri 29-Jan-16 19:48:56

What is his reading like with these books? Does he read words at sight or sound out in his head or sound out aloud?
How teachers use books varies hugely. At DS new school they are on to level 4-5 at a stage DS was still held on level 2. Old school were waiting till they could read completely fluently and meet a range of comprehension goals before moving them up.
If your DS is reading his books easily and fluently, I'd ask the teacher what you should be working on. If not, I'd assume it's that.

mrz Sat 30-Jan-16 05:46:05

Ignore the online charts

Badumchhhhh Sat 30-Jan-16 08:27:50

Thanks for the answers. I asked and apparently it's because he still sounds out words he doesn't know. She didn't mention comprehension but I know it's fine because we always talk about the books afterwards.
So maybe she is looking for total fluency before moving on.

RiverTam Sat 30-Jan-16 08:32:16

As I understand it they have to consistently read the books with no hesitation, and for yellow they're also looking for expressive reading and using the punctuation so pausing at a comma, using a question voice and being aware of speech.

louisejxxx Sat 30-Jan-16 10:45:53

Ah okay. I heard there is a general rule of about 90%? I.e. If they are reading about 9 in every 10 words correctly then it is the correct book band and they should remain at level...any less than that and the book band is too difficult, any higher and they should be moved up. It isn't something that's set in stone for all schools to follow, but it sounds like your school is adhering to something close to this.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 30-Jan-16 12:47:56

That sounds odd. He's supposed to be sounding out words he doesn't know.

The 90% thing is outdated and applies more to old style look and say books. If he knows the sounds, is sounding out correctly and his comprehension is fine, I can't see any obvious reason he shouldn't be moved up.

mrz Sat 30-Jan-16 13:12:30

How does she expect him to deal with words he doesn't know! 😱

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now