Talk

Advanced search

How to support bilingual DC, starting Reception after Easter?

(7 Posts)
PodClock Thu 28-Jan-16 20:25:03

My DC will start in Year R after Easter - she turns 5 in July, so she is one of the younger ones, and hasn't been in a school setting before. We have been overseas, and she has been in a pre-school type setting there.

I was wondering if there are specific things I should be doing to prepare her. She can read and write a bit, but she's a mixture of self-taught and haphazard teaching by me, so I think there are probably some gaps, and she maybe hasn't progressed in a particularly systematic way. (She's also bilingual, which maybe clouds the issue a little - different spelling and pronunciation rules. She will often read English words how they would be pronounced in her second language, but I'm hoping that won't prove to be a big issue).

Should I be actively trying to fill gaps before she starts, or should I assume that the teacher will just take her as she comes and sort everything out?

I want to make the transition easy for her, and I think she would be discouraged if she thought she couldn't do things that the other children could.

What should she be able to do reading and writing and maths-wise by next term?

KohINoorPencil Thu 28-Jan-16 20:36:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PodClock Thu 28-Jan-16 20:57:01

Pre-school is pretty unstructured. I don't think they have to ask to go to the toilet - actually that could be an issue, I think she'd be worried to ask. I will maybe try and get the teacher to talk about that with her specifically, thank you.

I assume she knows how to ask other children to play, she is usually playing with someone when I pick her up.

She is very shy though. I'm not sure what I can really do to help with that.

KohINoorPencil Thu 28-Jan-16 21:04:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PodClock Thu 28-Jan-16 21:52:08

Thanks, that is good advice. I have been very positive, and she is excited about it all.

She has been telling me all about what she is going to say to the other children - but she does sometimes lose her nerve when it comes down to actually talking to someone, even people she knows well.

Ferguson Fri 29-Jan-16 19:43:44

I assume she has access to suitable books in English, and that you read to/with her.

Cbeebies has some good educational material:

www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/alphablocks

Doing Duplo or other construction toys, drawing or colouring in, and jigsaw puzzles are good for concentration and 'hand - eye' coordination.

Yes: be positive about school, but don't OVERSELL it just in case it doesn't match her expectations.

PodClock Sat 30-Jan-16 09:23:36

Yes, she has loads of books, and enjoys being read to.

She likes construction toys and drawing and colouring in (jigsaws not so much).

She actually has great hand-eye coordination and concentration. If she was starting at the same time as everyone else, I'd have no worries at all. It's just because she has to start part-way through.

She took a while to settle at her preschool, but she did have to learn a new language, so it's maybe to be expected. She absolutely hated not being able to speak the language fluently, when everyone else could.

I will have a look at Cbeebies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now