Talk

Advanced search

"Good" tutor for 7+ or 8+ - what does this mean to you? What are the criteria of a good tutor?1

(16 Posts)
goodusb Sat 23-Jan-16 21:12:25

Had a number of tutors ...but feel none of them was the one who i could trust they would prepare my DS for 7 plus...

BlueSmarties76 Sun 24-Jan-16 01:25:30

If you're in north London just get Arlette (if that's her name?) she is famous smile

CB2009 Sun 24-Jan-16 14:34:53

Arlette does tutor in Golders Green. She will already probably be booked for 7+ exams in Jan 2017. Classes start this week if anything like last year. I have her e-mail and phone number so PM me if you need. She has indeed been tutoring children for some 20+ years. It is tough programme on the mothers (in particular) and the children but appears to get results. There is also an up front assessment of the child before starting

Mominatrix Sun 24-Jan-16 18:14:13

If there is an up-front assessment prior to starting, does it not mean then that her success is based on choosing those children who would pass anyways?

Youarenotthebossofme Sun 24-Jan-16 18:57:31

Sounds hideous, 'it is a tough programme on the mothers..and the children' especially if tutoring for next years exams are starting now.
Paying for your child to basically attend an exam bootcamp for a year does not seem like sound practice to me.

writingonthewall Mon 25-Jan-16 06:42:50

Mumteacher on here is a 7+ tutor

firsttimer08 Mon 25-Jan-16 16:21:08

I know of an excellent tutor for 7+. PM me if interested.

justanick Sun 31-Jan-16 12:46:15

hello everyone! Is there someone who knows Helen Grogan saturday classes for 8+?

LondonChillaxer Sun 31-Jan-16 21:11:37

'Arlette...will already probably be booked for 7+ exams in Jan 2017.'!!! Seriously??
Surely there should be some kind of regulation to ban such practices. 6 year olds should not have to go through this to frankly satisfy the ambitions of their parents...

mumofthreegoingmad Sun 31-Jan-16 23:06:55

I know an excellent tutor that teaches 4, 5 and 7plus. She really cares abut the child and makes it fun. She is based in N London. Nobody helped me when I went through this and ppl were so cagey about sharing who had helped them. PM if you want details.

Londonmumat40 Wed 03-Feb-16 12:06:01

A definite vote here for Helen Grogan if you are close enough to her Chelsea classes. I've used her with two boys. They did a two hour session each Saturday morning and they were divided into fairly small groups (around 5 or 6 per teacher) by age and ability. The classes give you exactly what you need - repeated practice of Maths, Comprehension, Composition and Reasoning. It really took some of the pressure off us as parents. Helen is very sensible and straight talking. She will tell you honestly what she thinks the chances for your child are and as she has many boys every year doing the 7+ and 8+ (and 11+ girls I think) she has the experience to know. I know she gets a good number into all the top schools each year (CC, WUS, SH, KCJS etc). Both my boys did some one on one tutoring before discovering the classes and they both responded much better to the classes. I think there is something about working in a group which means they feel it is less "unfair" that they are having to do extra work. Many boys are naturally competitive and seeing their neighbour doing well makes them work harder. (We had used one tutor from a different agency who had bored my son to tears).

Another advantage of the classes system is that in October and in the run up to the exams Helen sets mock exams. My children came from a school which doesn't prepare for the 8+ at all so they had very limited experience of sitting any type of exam. It was therefore very good practice for them to get the feel for sitting in a quiet exam hall and competing against other boys. The results give you a feel for how your son is doing relative to others which isn't always easy to do. Having done the classes also meant they saw a familiar face or two on the actual exam days at the potential schools.

If your child is struggling in a particular area then you maybe need some one on one sessions to deal with it rather than the class but I think if an issue came up there would be the opportunity to book that with one of the teachers separately. I guess (although this is only my experience) the classes are aimed at maximising the potential of boys who are doing well and aiming at top schools rather than being remedial classes for those struggling. There is now a fairly comprehensive website which it is worth looking at.

I have recommended Helen to various friends. Her set up really worked for us.

Waterlily4 Wed 03-Feb-16 21:05:58

My son was going to Helen Grogan's saturday classes!
It was good for sitting in a group and time management.
But they definitely do not prepare for a specific school!!

AimHigh100 Sat 06-Feb-16 04:27:14

Yours is an interesting question, Goodusb. A good tutor should be experienced in teaching the specific areas that'll meet your objectives and your child's needs - and someone who will be honest with you about whether the two are aligned.
What difficulties have you had with previous tutors?

laughingcrying Thu 11-Feb-16 08:48:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

72percentcocoa Thu 09-Feb-17 16:04:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wickerlampshade Thu 09-Feb-17 16:47:38

[shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked]

how much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now