Talk

Advanced search

Reception year reading: PM Stars books

(47 Posts)
Rulex101 Thu 21-Jan-16 13:21:25

Hello,

Does anyone's DC's schools use the PM Stars series of books? If so, do you know what the corresponding levels are in relation to ORT? I only ask because I've read through many threads on here which refer to ORT but I am none the wiser as to what level my son should be reading at because his school seems to use a different reading scheme to most.

Many thanks!

Ferguson Thu 21-Jan-16 17:46:42

I thought I might be able to help, but it seems this is an Australian organisation, and I don't see a quick or easy way of converting to ORT. If I find out more I'll come back.

Are you in Australia?

ngl.cengage.com/search/showresults.do?N=201+4294918536+4294903143

mrz Thu 21-Jan-16 18:12:33

PM Stars are now published by Scholastic in the UK are a Reading Recovery scheme. The book banding colours are the same for both schemes.

Rulex101 Thu 21-Jan-16 19:48:02

Thanks for your replies Ferguson and Mrz.

Ferguson, sadly I'm not in Australia but sunny Kent!

ihearttc Thu 21-Jan-16 22:23:51

Our school used PM starters as well. But they are mixed in with ORT and other schemes as well.

Feenie Fri 22-Jan-16 07:03:23

They are not decodable, don't match the curriculum and won't go down well in an inspection - assuming both schools are state.

Rulex101 Fri 22-Jan-16 18:17:21

My son came home with a different sort of book today so they do seem to be using a mixture too.
The fact that the PM books were not very decodable was what concerned me too, Feenie. Luckily, I've also been teaching him phonics at home (and he does do it at school too) so at least I know he's getting a decent amount of phonics training as well. (And it is a state school, by the way.)

ridinghighinapril Fri 22-Jan-16 18:32:15

My DD school (indie) uses PM - they seem to be making very good progress with it (although I don't know many reception children outside her school to compare her with). The books seem to use a good mix of decodable and sight words and illustrations to support their reading.
No idea how they compare to ORT.

Feenie Fri 22-Jan-16 18:39:15

illustrations to support their reading

Illustrations don't support reading - they support guessing. They may also enhance the story and and the enjoyment of the reader. But support actual reading - no.

maizieD Fri 22-Jan-16 18:45:57

The books seem to use a good mix of decodable and sight words and illustrations to support their reading.

I'm afraid that is a terrible mix.
I sincerely hope that your DD is one of the children who works out for themselves that picture cues and learning words as wholes are bad strategies and is not one of those children which the strategies thoroughly confuse; leading to poor reading skills and dislike of reading.

Paperm0ver Fri 22-Jan-16 21:19:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ridinghighinapril Fri 22-Jan-16 21:26:04

No concerns from me.
The school and the teachers have an excellent reputation and, having seen my DD and friends (as well as their older siblings before them) progress so well and develop above for reading, I am happy to put my faith in their method.

Feenie Sat 23-Jan-16 01:50:31

Wow, 60%!!! Amazing!

Now, let's discuss the other 4 in 10, shall we?

Feenie Sat 23-Jan-16 01:53:17

I realise, btw, that your results are tongue in cheek. But - Jesus. That's the reality

Paperm0ver Sat 23-Jan-16 09:42:41

Paperm0ver Sat 23-Jan-16 09:45:27

mrz Sat 23-Jan-16 11:25:02

Reading Recovery explains the PM books

Can I ask your opinion on the books themselves as I'm being told by a RR teacher how great the stories are.

Paperm0ver Sat 23-Jan-16 18:46:08

mrz Sat 23-Jan-16 19:27:08

Thanks 😀

ihearttc Sat 23-Jan-16 21:41:05

Mrz-I listen to some of the Y1 children reading and I have to say I find the books incredibly dull. The children don't seem to like them very much either tbh and often ask for a ORT one instead (which I know aren't great either!) but they do seem to at least have a story and some opportunity for discussion about the story/characters.

mrz Sat 23-Jan-16 22:52:40

Thank you ihearttc flowers

Rulex101 Sun 24-Jan-16 07:42:12

Thanks PaperM0ver. Can I ask, are you happy with your DD's progress now? Did you notice a marked difference in her reading when you started doing extra work with her?

Mashabell Sun 24-Jan-16 10:14:37

Rulex
The more children read, the better they get at it.
So any extra work that parents can manage to do with them at home is bound to make a difference, especially helping them to access tricky words like 'one, who, thought'.

That's the main reason why children from poorer homes tend to do less well: they mostly get less help from their parents, either because they work unsociable shifts and long hours or even because their own reading ability is not great.

mrz Sun 24-Jan-16 10:21:18

What outdated views

Feenie Sun 24-Jan-16 11:04:48

You're entitled to your opinion, Masha, but that's all it is - opinion. If you'd ever worked as a KS1 teacher, you wouldn't be spouting half of that garbage. It's also pretty offensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now