Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's the latest on Oxford Primary Schools?

(17 Posts)
shakespeare Mon 18-Jan-16 05:47:41

Hi there

We are moving to Oxford (returning to UK from overseas) in June 2016 and looking for a Year 3 place for DD at Primary school in September 2016. There’s some good past posts about Oxford primary schools but nothing recent so I’m after an update - what is the state of play with quality of schools at the moment?

We’d rather not send to a Catholic school, and will probably be based in East Oxford so we've been looking at

- East Oxford
- Larkrise
- St Mary and John
- Windmill

Does anyone have a feel for what these schools are like and whether there have been any changes in the last year or so?

Atathania Fri 22-Jan-16 18:45:45

All massively oversubscribed. Windmill's just been rated outstanding but would be a fair old trek from East Oxford. Everyone I know with kids there is very happy with Larkrise.

Atathania Fri 22-Jan-16 18:46:31

Windmill is also now 3 form entry.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Fri 22-Jan-16 21:31:38

Are there any younger siblings you would want a place for at a later date?

roguedad Sat 23-Jan-16 09:18:38

It puts a strain on house prices but Phil and Jims and an eye on Cherwell catchment is a good long term plan.

SunsetGirl Sat 23-Jan-16 23:11:22

I have friends with children at East Oxford, Larkrise, and Windmill. Everyone seems pretty happy with those schools!

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sun 24-Jan-16 10:24:43

I don't think the OP is really interested in the answers as she hasn't been back since posting on Monday.

shakespeare Thu 28-Jan-16 20:44:09

Hi, thanks, yes - due to enter Foundation the following September (2017).

shakespeare Thu 28-Jan-16 20:53:46

Thanks, that's good to know about Larkrise

shakespeare Thu 28-Jan-16 20:58:54

Yes. The very bottom of Cherwell catchment could work for E Oxford schools.

shakespeare Thu 28-Jan-16 21:03:37

Thanks, good to know.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Thu 28-Jan-16 21:58:31

Hi, thanks, yes - due to enter Foundation the following September (2017)

The reason I ask is because you may be able to get a place in year 3 if they have spaces even though you are not in catchment, but the younger sibling may not get a place because all children applying from within catchment will be a higher priority for reception places, then non-catchment siblings on distance.

Also a warning about Cherwell catchment, in some years not all of the children in catchment have got in so buying on the edges can be a risk.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Thu 28-Jan-16 22:05:17

Have just checked and the furthest a child without a sibling link got in from last year was 1.436 miles, there were 101 unsuccessful applicants within the catchment area.

Arcadia Thu 28-Jan-16 22:07:41

Windmill is fantastic but very big now so depends on the child if it will suit. no one from east Oxford has got in that I know of, some get in from wood farm/lye valley but by no means guaranteed - especially now with the outstanding. I hear good things about larkrise and SS Mary john, not so much East Oxford school.

shakespeare Sat 30-Jan-16 02:14:50

Thanks AllPizzas, for checking and also advice re thinking ahead to the sibling's school.

shakespeare Sat 30-Jan-16 02:16:36

Arcadi - do you mean literally that you don't hear good things about East Oxford, or that you actually do hear not so good things? (If you see what I mean)

msimmons Mon 23-May-16 22:30:57

East Oxford Primary is a great school- we have a daughter in reception and when talking with parents of other years most everyone is content. The school definitely cares about the children and provides lots of opportunities for kids beyond the classroom and monitor students' progress closely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now