We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

tutor for primary aged child

(8 Posts)
tilder Sat 16-Jan-16 08:29:19

I am currently looking for a tutor for ds. Many reasons why. No sn but he could really do with being stretched in his maths.

I am hoping for some tips on finding a tutor. I have been googling and have found some tutors but the distance to them is greater than their maximum travel distance.

Is there a place that tutors advertise? Surely there must be tutors less than 10 miles from us!

CruCru Sat 16-Jan-16 09:49:15

Where do you live?

tilder Sat 16-Jan-16 10:14:09

I knew I should have name changed for this! I never post where I live on mn. Which probably doesn't really help with this sort of thing.

I don't live in London smile

I have checked local notice boards (nothing ) have checked websites I have found via Google all of which have lots of tutors but nothing within 10 miles.

Would taking an ad on Gumtree help? Or do good tutors have no need of adverts?

TheFrendo Sat 16-Jan-16 14:30:40

Plenty of tutors (me included) rely on word of mouth, they do not advertise, have a website or register with agencies.

Ask the school, look in the local paper, ask an agency?

CruCru Sat 16-Jan-16 15:03:20

Ah. I do know a good tutor but that's no use unless you live in north London.

fuzzpig Sat 16-Jan-16 15:12:48

You could ask on your local selling facebook group. I advertised my piano lessons on mine and got work that way.

I would like to do a bit of tutoring for maths as well and would probably do the same thing for that.

Happymummy007 Sat 16-Jan-16 16:52:20

At the risk of annoying lots of people who don't agree with it, but our DD goes to Explore Learning and has come on hugely in the 2 years she's gone. It's filled all the gaps her school hasn't, and she sees it as an exclusive club with her own group of friends. It isn't for everyone, I know that, but personally it's been fantastic. Could you look at that, or I believe Kumon is another provider?

tilder Sat 16-Jan-16 18:06:08

Thanks crucru. Might be a bit far for us to travelwink

TheFrendo I thought that might be the case. I don't want to ask at school as they are aware that they have issues with maths and are trying to sort it. No real local paper but will keep looking at agencies. I have found a few via Google but if there are good ones please say.

Fuzzpig I hadn't thought of Facebook. Will have a look.

Happymummy I haven't heard of those, thanks, will look them up.

I thought there would be lots of tutors but all I find are people miles away, people doing other subjects or only a'level/gcse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now