Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help: DD really struggling with maths 3rd year in a row... Is there a reason?

(9 Posts)
JoyceDivision Wed 13-Jan-16 21:37:38

DD in yr4, in yr 2 started to struggle with maths, because didn't want to\ thought couldn't put hand up, coasted along with friends helping or sharing work. Realised what was happening in to the following yr, expected attainment moved from above expected to only managing to reach expected for age group and school gave extra support for a term.

It seemed to deal with confidence etc... And I thought all OK. School not been doing homework last term to acccomodate changes so when DD brought it home and she worked on.... She doesn't seem to have a clue. Can't tell the time... No idea of ax24hr clock... Five numbers one missing and what is the missing number she has no idea what to do or start to work out

I am booking all to speak to the teacher but is there something i"'m missing. DD does really well in other areas and I thought it may be because she doesn't want to put her hand up but she said the instructions on lessons don',t make sense. When she has the intervention in one to one the teacher said she seemed to get acgrasp on things and DD said it was explained easier and clearer..

Am im I missing something? I looked at auditory memory but it doesn't fit what seems to be the issue, that there is a massive lack of comprehension... Or is she just not bright in this area?

TheTroubleWithAngels Wed 13-Jan-16 21:44:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

irvine101 Wed 13-Jan-16 22:44:22

I agree, go to the very beginning and check if she grasped all the basics.
This site is very useful. Has tutorial for each skill/concept, so you can watch again if you didn't get first time, + quiz to check understanding.
I think it's better to start from early maths and just skip the topics she is already secure. Hope it helps.

www.khanacademy.org/math/early-math

irvine101 Wed 13-Jan-16 22:45:12

It's free.

Petradreaming Wed 13-Jan-16 22:54:01

Sometimes we just don't get maths.

Ferguson Thu 14-Jan-16 19:46:09

You have had some good advice, but here is a bit more:

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:
ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other
etc,
then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 14-Jan-16 19:49:53

Buy some numicon Amazon - £30 a set - look on numicon New Zealand for ideas - it's more visual way to look at numbers - really helps - school may have a set of they're not using it - why not?

JoyceDivision Thu 14-Jan-16 21:07:21

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies, they are all really helpful and makes lot of sense.

I think the basics need to be covered again, so that's where we'll start.

Thanks flowers

Honnoraty69 Fri 15-Jan-16 11:15:11

Just to add that DS had same problem then I joined TheMathsFactor with Carol Vauderman, £10.99pm and went back to basics. She has transformed our lives, I don't get frustrated with trying to explaine the obvious and DS and Carol get on famously! Highly recommended as Khanacademy didn't work for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now