Hiring a nanny just for school runs (morning + afternoon)

(494 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SKLily Thu 07-Jan-16 17:40:56

I simply can't get the hang of morning school runs. The little one isn't that troublesome these days about getting his clothes sorted and on + shower and brushing his teeth has become a breeze. The problem is I wake up in the morning and simply can't get myself together. No number of espressos can help me and most recently I made us late by losing my phone. Where was it? In the cat food bowl when I thought I had given the cat food... Instead I gave her my phone. As a new mum I'm thinking that since our son isn't too much of a handful these days maybe getting someone in is the answer?

Does anyone else have someone to help with 9am morning school runs? How much do they help out? Do they get your little one ready too?

Ubik1 Thu 07-Jan-16 17:43:06

Seriously?

newyear16 Thu 07-Jan-16 17:45:13

Why did you need your phone? Couldn't you look for it after you'd taken you dc to school?

BYOSnowman Thu 07-Jan-16 17:45:41

Do you have a newborn and a school age child? I can't quite figure out the problem.

I wouldn't have thought it would be very easy to find someone to do those hours as you cat fit another job around it and it isn't enough hours to pay well

Teenagecrisisagain Thu 07-Jan-16 17:46:24

Why 'seriously?'

If you have the money OP and can find someone to do those hours and you feel it will help you then go ahead

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Thu 07-Jan-16 17:47:46

You might be able to find a childminder to do it. I expect you would have to pay above the odds.

BYOSnowman Thu 07-Jan-16 17:48:09

Why is he showering before school? Mine wash before bed then they are up, dressed, breakfast, teeth and out within half an hour if we are running late or more leisurely if not. I get up earlier to get ready for work first. Easier on days when dh is around to get them ready so I have more time.

SKLily Thu 07-Jan-16 17:53:32

BYO;

I think it's just a preference in lifestyle? He loves his baths and a quick wash means he is awake and cheerful. It's only a quick 5 minute wash but it makes all the difference.

TheBakeryQueen Thu 07-Jan-16 17:54:28

If you're struggling and can afford it then why not?

The only worry I'd have is getting to know the other parents so things like play dates can be arranged. I don't think that could be left to a nanny.

Maybe arrange it for some of the school runs but not all?

WipsGlitter Thu 07-Jan-16 17:57:13

I don't get it. Are you late for school or you just would rather someone else got him ready while you "came to". Do you have to get ready for work?

SKLily Thu 07-Jan-16 17:58:04

I understand having to pays little more; if anyone has someone helping out for these hours can you tell me roughly in what region of per hour pay you feel comfortable with? Is £20 per hour alright? Just hoping for 2-3 hours in the morning and then 2 hours in the afternoon. 5 days a week.

Artandco Thu 07-Jan-16 18:01:52

Your unlikely to find someone just morning and afternoon. However if your paying £20 per hour, why don't you pay the going rate of £12 and just have someone more full time?

8am-5pm. They can swap whether they look after eldest, baby or do some child related stuff like children's cooking or laundry.

SKLily Thu 07-Jan-16 18:04:04

WipsGlitter:

Honestly a bit of both although admitting I'm the one making us late in the mornings makes me feel terrible. I don't work, I'm just a stay at home mum since my husband doesn't mind it.

And to TheBakeryQueen, that's my main fear. I'm already a fairly young mother (21) and my husband is 14 years older than myself which hasn't gone without snarky comments from one mum in particular

SKLily Thu 07-Jan-16 18:05:59

*miss typed that, 22, but I doubt it makes all the difference haha

TurnOffTheTv Thu 07-Jan-16 18:11:59

I'm a SAHM and chuck money at stuff I hate doing. Don't feel guilty about that. But what you're proposing is going £400 a month, which seems a bit steep.

How many children have you got? Why do you need them on an afternoon as well?

SisterViktorine Thu 07-Jan-16 18:13:19

Is there a baby in this mix? I can't tell whether you have one DC or two?

SKLily Thu 07-Jan-16 18:25:19

TurnOffTheTv:

It's just that I live in Knightsbridge/South Ken and the mums seem to have nannies from between £14 per hour to £25 (multi lingual and driving to be fair). I guess I thought the prices were steeper depending on area, or maybe it's more of a status symbol the more expensive your nanny is? Which wouldn't surprise me with some of these women. I'm totally out of it! And yes we have a baby (4 months) but my husband takes over night duties if there are any since he works from home but basically lives in an American time zone! So our son is my job in the mornings to give my husband a chance to rest.

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 07-Jan-16 18:28:54

If you are getting a full nights sleep every night (sounds like it from your last post) then maybe go to the docs to find out why you are so tired in the mornings?

BYOSnowman Thu 07-Jan-16 18:31:08

Is your dh around in the morning?

Do you have any other paid help you could merge (eg you currently have a cleaner but could morph the role into more of a nanny/housekeeper)

Why do you find pick up hard? Is the commute to school difficult with buses etc?

I hate mornings but just got myself into an efficient routine that maximised the amount of time is spend in bed and do as much as possible the night before so no faffing packing school bag etc. Once you get into the groove it's a lot easier but the first week of time is always a killer!!

BYOSnowman Thu 07-Jan-16 18:36:05

Sorry - see he is there but sleeping. Does that mean baby can stay at home while you do school run? If you're not going on to work you don't need to do more than pull on some clothes surely!!

lougle Thu 07-Jan-16 18:37:28

An alarm clock and a timetable would cost you about £20 maximum, you'd be on time for school and your children would learn about organising themselves from you.

You just need a routine so that you can work through it in your mind and work out what comes next.

I found it helpful at first to have my "leave the house" time set, then work backwards. The "leave the house" time needs to be set at a time that allows you to get to school, park, be ready in the playground and have 10 minutes to spare for the inevitable lost car keys/reading book/wet pants/pooey nappy.

So for me:

School starts at 9.00. Children line up at 08.55.
The school journey is 6 minutes by car, plus a 3 minute walk. So I need 6 + 3 + 10 minutes =19 minutes. If I don't leave the house by 08.36, I'm in danger of being late.

But I don't tell my children that. They think that we're 'late' if they're not ready by 08.30. They've sussed out, now, that we have 3 'lates': 'late' means 'we won't be able to play in the playground before we line up'. 'Actually late' means 'we'll only just catch the lining up/we will have to go straight into class without lining up'. 'Really late' has only happened twice and means they have to go in through the office entrance, but are there before the register is called.

Then you just work it back. 5 minutes to brush teeth. 15 minutes for getting/eating/clearing away breakfast. 15 minutes for getting dressed. 20 minutes for your DS to have a bath/dry himself. 10 minutes for hair brushing/coat on/bag ready.

So if school starts at 9, you need 20 minutes to get there, etc., you know that if your DS is getting dressed after 8.05, you're late. Because all the steps after that take 35 minutes and you need to leave at 8.40.

ScarlettDarling Thu 07-Jan-16 18:41:45

Wow. So you're 22, living in Knightsbridge and wondering if £20 an hour is enough to pay a nanny to get your son ready for school because you want a bit longer in bed, despite your husband doing any night duties?!

Wow.
hmm

lougle Thu 07-Jan-16 18:42:47

I read somewhere, and I've seen it in friends, that 'on time' people think they're 'late' when they are going to struggle to fit in everything they need to do in the alotted time. Whereas 'late' people only consider themselves to be running late if it's past the time that the event starts.

My DH used to want to 'fit in' a trip to the shops. But he was seeing a '20 minute shop' and forgetting the travel time both ways, the walking to the shop, the getting a trolley, the checking out time, packing time, walking to the car and putting the trolley away.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Thu 07-Jan-16 18:42:51

I know around here (Gloucestershire) you can so I don't see why not.

What strikes me though is how long it takes you to come round. Has it always been like this? If not I think I'd talk to the GP about it.

BoGrainger Thu 07-Jan-16 18:43:09

Crikey! I'd do it for £100 a day. That's twice what I get as a TA and only half the hours! I wish I lived near Knightsbridgegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now