Talk

Advanced search

End of year 4 sats

(9 Posts)
Londonmum07 Sun 03-Jan-16 00:22:53

My son who was 8 at the time got three 5c's in Maths,English at the end of year 4 sats.I don't know what any other pupil got.Are the scores very good(gifted) or above average,but common enough?

StanSmith Sun 03-Jan-16 02:00:21

Who knew they even did SATS in year 4 hmm

mrz Sun 03-Jan-16 06:09:15

There aren't SATs in Y4. Schools could use optional tests if they wanted but obviously there are no levels now so the results are meaningless against the new expectations sorry.

clam Sun 03-Jan-16 10:36:45

The old non-statutory optional tests for Year 4 didn't level up as far as 5.

Londonmum07 Sun 03-Jan-16 10:40:31

He did the SATS with year 5 while year 6 were doing their SATS.It's an independent school but most children move on to state grammars.

teacherwith2kids Sun 03-Jan-16 10:59:42

You will have to as the school, then.

In state schools, levels are no longer used, nor are the optional SATs that measured against those levels, because they test a curriculum that is no longer in force. The old curriculum was less ambitious than the current curriculum, so a child 'appearing to do very well' in old-fashioned SATs may well not be doing so well if measured against state school peers who have been taught the more ambitious new curriculum.

It also depends what the test for the grammar schools is in your area, and again the school can advise you. If it is VR / NVR only, then any measurement of Maths / English etc is irrelevant. If it is a more comprehensive test of the general curriculum, then attainment in curriculum subjects IS more relevant, but it is very unlikely that the tests look like old-fashioned optional SATs papers so results in those are not a robust predictor IYSWIM?

Also depends on whether the grammars are 'top 25%' - like Kent - or 'top 0.5-1%' - like some superselectives.

BertrandRussell Sun 03-Jan-16 11:06:02

None of those "numbers" mean anything now. You need to ask the school.

And I would be very worried about a school reporting back to you in this way- it's really meaningless!

teacherwith2kids Sun 03-Jan-16 11:17:13

Sorry, re-read your original post and you asked whether he was bright, whereas I replied more to your next post about the school and its destinations. Yes, he sounds bright. Without knowing exactly what tests he did (some of the old optional SATs were quite easy. Others were relatively hard. None actually give a level of '5c' so the school is applying its own mark scheme, which may be tougher or more lenient than the old published ones), and whether the school is following the new or old national curriculum or its own curriculum it is impossible to say 'how bright' on the basis of single tests.

teacherwith2kids Sun 03-Jan-16 11:19:49

To echo Bertrand - I know of no school in the state sector that has reported attainment as simply levels in tests for many years, if ever. Even the Year 6 SATs under the old curriculum reported both teacher assessment (and this was the sole assessment for Writing) and test level, recognising that day-to-day performance could easily be very different from one-off tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now