Talk

Advanced search

Time away from school for music exams?

(18 Posts)
Everyoneafter3 Mon 21-Dec-15 18:48:32

Dd1 has an instrumental exam next term (Associated Board) which will take place during during the school day. It'll be at an exam centre away from school and I'll be taking her.

Lessons are undertaken at school (at lunch usually) through the local authority's music service.

Suddenly I'm a little worried about getting an unauthorised absence mark: would this happen? I've read some terrible tales on MN!!

bigbadbarry Mon 21-Dec-15 18:51:19

We never have. I guess it probably depends what time the exam is though - I don't think any of mine have ever missed registration for an exam. But if she has an unauthorised absence it is only half a day - shouldn't be a big deal unless you are up to the limit anyway?

Emochild Mon 21-Dec-15 18:52:23

Every school I know would mark it as educated off site if a child missed registration for an exam

Depending on how far school is from the exam centre you might be able to do it without missing registration

Everyoneafter3 Mon 21-Dec-15 18:52:51

No absence of any sort at all so far this year, and full attendance last academic year.

Seems unfair to treat this as anything other than educational though?

Everyoneafter3 Mon 21-Dec-15 18:54:24

It's a 20 minute drive so it's not a case of a full day I wouldn't have thought (fond memories of post-exam treats in the 90s when none of this worry went on...).

BertrandRussell Mon 21-Dec-15 18:55:08

Never been anything but educated offsite for us. Also ds's drama things. Drop them an email.

Everyoneafter3 Mon 21-Dec-15 18:56:37

Will do, I don't know the date yet but I'll speak to them anyway.

titchy Mon 21-Dec-15 18:58:44

Either educated offsite or sporting fixture (hmm) for dc here. Don't worry it certainly won't be unauthorised!

roguedad Mon 21-Dec-15 18:58:51

No way should a music exam be treated as an unauthorised absence or even as an absence - the school should not only describe as an approved outing, on an educational matter, but congratulate the child on taking the test. It should not matter whether the lessons are organised through the school or not either. OP - if it does not get categorised the right way I'd give the school hell, but always remember that you really do not how to know-tow to the current obsession schools have with attendance.

flowery Mon 21-Dec-15 19:00:30

DS's exams have always been authorised as educational, not a problem at all.

If they are so unreasonable as to not authorise it (which I can't imagine they would be), what's the worst that could happen? You just notify them you are taking her out anyway.

BertrandRussell Mon 21-Dec-15 19:03:24

"No way should a music exam be treated as an unauthorised absence or even as an absence - the school should not only describe as an approved outing, on an educational matter, but congratulate the child on taking the test."

It's called "education off site"- there is a special box for it so no need to get in a flap about it! I wouldn't expect a red carpet though. grin

BackforGood Mon 21-Dec-15 21:07:23

Ours were always marked as 'Education Off site' if they went over a registration period, but, tbh, more often than not, they didn't have to be collected until part way through morning (or afternoon) and were then returned before afternoon registration.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 22-Dec-15 09:23:14

DD's school is an ABRSM centre so hosts it's own exams. However, she sits Trinity even then we get an educated off site code.

EdithWeston Tue 22-Dec-15 09:27:31

DC had this marked as an approved educational absence (code B, I think)

Ta1kinPeece Tue 22-Dec-15 13:09:26

Never had a problem for any sort of external exam - dance, music, sport

Witchend Sat 26-Dec-15 14:47:49

Authorised absence here. No problems, no fuss.

jamdonut Tue 29-Dec-15 13:03:56

Never had any problems here...children who are taking lessons at school are expected to aim for an exam. If it is from out of school music lessons, I still see no reason why there should be any problem. It is for an educational reason, after all.

dodobookends Tue 29-Dec-15 13:09:14

Just ask for permission for them to arrange an authorised absence to attend the music exam. They will put it down as 'educated offsite' 'approved activity' 'educational activity' or similar. Don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now