Talk

Advanced search

help new attainment levels year 5

(10 Posts)
northern78 Fri 18-Dec-15 21:56:02

Just received dds report for year5. I understood that she was doing well and achieved excellent results in recent reading and spelling age tests. However, most of her levels are coming out at 5e.
Am I right in assuming that this is normal at this stage of the year or should I be concerned?
School has now finished ill January so unable to ask the school until than.
Thank you

mrz Sat 19-Dec-15 06:00:50

There isn't a national system so I'm afraid only your daughter's school can tell you what 5e actually means.
Some schools are using emerging expected exceeding, some have stuck with the c,b,a scale some, b,w, s some w,s,a but there are all kinds of combinations ....

northern78 Sat 19-Dec-15 09:05:16

Thank you so much for your reply. School is using e d s m if that makes any sense to you. E "has covered some or all but still requires significant support to develop understanding".
(Teacher assesment of curriculum coverage)
so maybe they are referring more to curriculum coverage rather than attainment.
At least I understand year 7 one as they are still using nc levels.

mrz Sat 19-Dec-15 09:29:22

Id say E is doing fine at this stage in the year (taking into account that the new curriculum has raised expectations - doing well).
I'd be more worried that Y7 is continuing to use levels two years after they were scrapped

multivac Sat 19-Dec-15 09:33:05

I would guess that is 'emerging/developing/secure/mastering'; and that 'e' is pretty standard at this stage of the school year (a lot of it will be to do with not having covered curriculum content yet).

WombatStewForTea Sat 19-Dec-15 09:56:11

It sounds very similar to the system we're using in which case e is where we'd expect most children to be at this stage in the year.

mrz Sat 19-Dec-15 11:25:37

I would add that's it relates to how much of what's been taught (at this stage) that she has learnt (able to do independently)

northern78 Sat 19-Dec-15 19:44:48

Thank you. That is reassuring. So have nc levels been scrapped for secondary too?

mrz Sat 19-Dec-15 19:56:33

yes levels have been scrapped at every stage

pointythings Sat 19-Dec-15 22:08:42

My DD2 is in Yr8 and they are using the Emerging/Developing/Secure/Mastering coding. I'm finding it quite useful because of the way it is done - for example, in maths she is Emerging in trigonometry (not surprising in Yr8) but has Mastering in fractions and percentages. I suspect that this system depends very much on how the school uses it and how specific they are - I'm finding the detailed aspects of the different subjects very helpful because I know exactly what to support at home, but not all schools work in the same way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now