Talk

Advanced search

Reception reading

(9 Posts)
Faz2015 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:28:21

Hi just need some advise... My dd 5 yr I'm reception was moved to green band on the reading scheme few weeks back... When she brought book home she was reading through it fluently with full understanding. This morning, I told the TA that she is reading fluently, and they sent of the rainbow magic book ( chapter book) to read. Is this the norm? My dd can read it but not sure about comprehension.
Please advise

Thanks

cariadlet Thu 17-Dec-15 23:03:17

That's quite a leap from green books to Rainbow Fairy Magic books. They're several bands higher. Are you sure that the teacher or TA gave it to your dd, or could she have picked it herself by mistake. I often find that children in my class have picked the wrong level book, because they go to the right box or basket, but then don't bother to check the sticker on their book (children often put books back in the wrong place).

Faz2015 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:32:16

Thanks for the reply... My dd said tge teacher gave it to her as a holiday read... She said it was chosen for her.. Maybe I can clarify Tom... Thanks

Mashabell Fri 18-Dec-15 08:30:22

Maybe she is an exceptionally good reader? A few children learn much faster than others.
How is she coping with the book? And does she like it?

Faz2015 Sat 19-Dec-15 17:06:11

Spoke to the teacher and she said that she was ready to read this kind of book. It will challenge her aswell with understanding the complex sentence structure, and remembering the events as it's quite long. Dd is enjoying it so far... so not sure if she has to go through all the reading tree bands...

Thanks xx

irvine101 Sat 19-Dec-15 17:17:04

My ds jumped through all the reading bands in reception, reading long chapter books by summer term.
We had a quite a challenge because we read things like "Witches" by Roald Dahl or "Secret Seven" by Enid Blyton. We worked very slowly, read 1 chapter a day and concentrated mostly on comprehension.

There is good reading comp. website your Dd might enjoy.

www.readtheory.org/

Faz2015 Sun 20-Dec-15 00:45:51

Thank you so much x

Ferguson Mon 21-Dec-15 19:57:42

As a primary TA for twenty years, I used this method:

When reading harder books with a child, get him to point to words as he goes along. If he knows the word, or can sound it out, he can say it. If he doesn't know the word, he can hover his finger over it, and YOU say the word for him. Don't stop to analyse or discuss the word at this stage, but try and keep the 'flow' of reading going. Review difficulties at the end, if you wish to.

This way, he has the satisfaction of reading more difficult books, without the fear of getting 'stuck' on words.

Faz2015 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:58:16

Thank you so much... I'll try this method X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now