Talk

Advanced search

Worried about this SALT referral...

(5 Posts)
Snowglobe1 Thu 17-Dec-15 10:15:41

Hello all! My son is in Y1, he was six in November. At parent's evening in October, the only issue school raised was his poor fine motor control as far as handwriting goes. I brought up his speech - he almost never says 'c'...replaces it with 't', and has recently started replacing 'f' with 'th' occasionally.
His teacher said she didn't think it was a big issue but that she'd do a SALT referral.
I've just spoken to the SALT on the phone to arrange the initial assessment, and she read the referral out to.me. It was a bit of a shock. The teacher mentioned the problems above, but also suggested he had literacy issues, sounding out words, putting words together and word order were mentioned as well as being slow to put his thoughts into words.
Literally none of this has been mentioned to me and I have not noticed it. He is on ORT L7, he can spell well, and though his handwriting is shocking, I don't notice anything wrong with the content.
I am now really worried. He has the speech issue, the motor control, a lazy eye and now this...and his identical twin has no issues. Are they all linked? What could be causing this? And why on earth did the teacher not tell us any of this when we directly asked?

Can anyone shed any light or share experiences? I will of course speak to the teacher but it'll be January now I expect.

Thanks!

YeOldeTrout Thu 17-Dec-15 10:26:15

They have to hype up his needs to get you SLT at all. If school said "He has a load of minor issues we aren't really worried about because these things are in the normal range" then you wouldn't get SLT at all. The problems aren't severe, but they deserve looking at.

ID twins are never as ID as they seem.
Try not to worry. He's got pretty mild speech issues, will probably be very easy to fix.

Snowglobe1 Thu 17-Dec-15 10:27:37

THANK YOU. I was really hoping this might be the case.

YeOldeTrout Thu 17-Dec-15 10:31:51

glad that was helpful smile
One of my brothers (ID twins) had lazy eye & not the other twin.
2 of my boys had SLT for C/T & G/D sound confusion. One of them was very weird about word order, too, but that resolved itself.

Snowglobe1 Thu 17-Dec-15 10:33:46

Thank you so much. You have really helped. He does the g/d thing as well, actually.
I appreciate your responses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now