Talk

Advanced search

What's next after project x alien adventures?

(9 Posts)
Ipsos Thu 17-Dec-15 09:05:40

Hi,

My ds is really keen on the Oxford Reading Tree Project x, Alien Adventures books and we bought the set quite cheaply, right up the lime level, online. However, the next two levels are much more expensive and I don't want to spend that much money on books that he will whoosh through.

I wondered if anyone might know what we should move to next, going on straight from the lime level, and hoping to buy a stack of books fairly cheaply?

I have tried Enid Blyton short stories but he's not quite ready for that density of text yet.

Thanks!

teeththief Thu 17-Dec-15 09:15:21

Easier Roald Dahl (The Twits, Georges Marvellous Medicine)
Horrid Henry (I know, I know. But the kids enjoyed them)
Usborne Young readers are good. They do different levels so you can find which suits your child (use Amazon's look inside feature and then buy them somewhere cheaper!)
Magic Tree House books were also popular here

OSETmum Thu 17-Dec-15 18:46:51

By the time the can read t
Lime band, they can read pretty much anything. DS (6) enjoys Roald Dahl, Horrid Henry, Enid Blyton, Beast Quest, Dinosau Cove, Oliver Moon... There's loads to choose from. He's getting the first 2 Harry Potter books for Christmas too, so we'll see if he enjoys them.

catkind Thu 17-Dec-15 19:13:50

Ooh, DS loved those too.

It was around here we started to rely heavily on libraries. You can usually order in/reserve books for kids for free which is a brilliant service when they're charging through series.

DS next favourite series were

More mini chapter books with colour pictures:
Pirate School (Jeremy Strong)
Pirate Penguins (Frank Rodgers, he has some other series too)

Chapter books with B&W pictures:
Dinosaur Cove (we had a starter pack from the Book People then got the rest in order from the library)
Magic Tree House (book people)

Slightly longer chapter books, still some pictures
More Jeremy Strong - Hundred Mile an Hour Dog, My Dad has an Alligator series.

Taking notes for other ideas!

mrz Thu 17-Dec-15 19:58:43

The Oxford All Stars reading collection from The Book People are shorter chapter books that gently help a child move from the reading scheme books to books requiring a little more stamina

irvine101 Thu 17-Dec-15 20:16:09

My ds loved Dinosaur Cove and Hundred Mile an Hour Dog series too. We originally borrowed HMHD from library, but ended up buying them because he loved it so much. He loved Secret Seven and Famous Five too. And Roald Dhal definitely. Once you are lime level, you can read pretty much anything.
We also go to charity shop regularly. They sometimes have really good bargain, whole series of books for price less than one book!

ReallyTired Fri 18-Dec-15 03:39:42

Have a look at www.oxfordowl.co.uk they have loads of free ebooks.

mrz Fri 18-Dec-15 06:34:56

www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=413530&catalogId=10051 out of stock at the moment but worth waiting for

Ginmummy1 Wed 23-Dec-15 13:03:58

I recommend going to the library with your DS and choosing books together. Our local library is small, but still has plenty of choice. My DD is at a similar level to your DS and she chooses a range of books - some at an easier level than her current 'learning' level, some a little harder, one or two non-fiction, one or two picture books.

She can borrow up to 30 books at a time, and obviously it's free. It's easy to request other books in the series from other libraries too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now