Advanced search

Child about to see Ed Psych but I don't understand the process

(15 Posts)
lancsphys Wed 16-Dec-15 13:51:53

My son is due to see an educational psychologist next week. He is just turned nine and I am fully expecting them to say that he has ADHD and/or is autistic. However I don't understand the significance of statements or educational plans. We moved him to a Steiner school at Easter because he was struggling in mainstream; it is a tiny school with no SENCO and so they know nothing about the process and can't advise me (I was referred through my GP). Can he even have a statement if he is at an independent school? What questions about that aspect of things should I be asking the ed psych? Thanks for your help everybody.

Emochild Wed 16-Dec-15 13:58:46

Statements have been phased out and replaced with EHCPs

You can request one independently from the school

Not everyone with a diagnosis needs an EHCP though, it depends if the school can meet their needs without

I found this site quite helpful

lancsphys Wed 16-Dec-15 14:07:06

Thank you - so do EHCPs apply to independent schools then? I thought they were administered by the LEA.

Emochild Wed 16-Dec-15 14:27:27

Yes they apply -the onus in a mainstream state school is on the senco but you can still get an EHCP for independent and even home school

If I were in your situation I would contact your local parent partnership service (easily found on google)
They act as an advisory service and are more than happy to answer questions from parents

My situation is slightly different in that dd is registered at an academy but they do have a senco so we are going down that route

lancsphys Wed 16-Dec-15 15:35:42

Thanks for that, I will contact them. Because he's at a very small school they are pretty good at dealing with his needs anyway. I'm more concerned about secondary school. Would like him to go to the local grammar but would I have to have a formal LEA EHCP to get them to make special arrangements for admissions tests etc?

orangepudding Wed 16-Dec-15 15:42:05

An ed pysch won't diagnose adhd or asd. They look more at barriers to learning.

Aa already said EHCPs do apply to independent schools. Getting one now may give you more options when it comes to picking a secondary school.

LIZS Wed 16-Dec-15 15:56:47

An Ed Pysch report would have the info for access arrangements. They can't diagnose though. I'm not sure a Steiner school would provide sufficient support or be geared up for 11+

lancsphys Wed 16-Dec-15 16:28:50

I know LIZS, poor kid's doing extra maths with me after school every day!

lancsphys Wed 16-Dec-15 16:30:38

So who would diagnose ADHD then?

LIZS Wed 16-Dec-15 16:42:04

A paediatrician. Gp would refer but could take a while.

TheFormidableMrsC Wed 16-Dec-15 16:42:05

You need a referred to your local Child Development Centre to see a specialist paediatrician. My son is diagnosed with ASD, although our HV did the referral having seen his behaviour (he was very small, only 2.5 at the time). Like others have said, the EP cannot diagnose but I imagine their input would be used in terms of obtaining diagnosis. Coincidentally, I had to see one yesterday as my now 4 yo is having some particular difficulties. She was fantastic, pointed me to resources that I didn't know existed and indeed is writing a report with recommendations to the school (although they are brilliant already). Your first port of call is GP for referral. Good luck flowers

BackforGood Thu 17-Dec-15 00:02:56

Any diagnosis has to come from a medical doctor - (paediatrician IME but they MUST have a medical qualification to make any diagnosis).
The EP is just that - and Education professional.
They can advise the school with strategies to help overcome the barriers to learning, but not diagnose a medical condition.

A mainstream school SENCo or a school nurse could refer you in to the CDC (Child Development Centre) to be assessed by a Paediatrician (I don't know anything about STeiner schools or schools without SENCos), but so can your GP.

Kepp in mind there are 2 different procedures / processes. One (for diagnosis) is medical and the other is to do with how he will access Education. That's where the EHC Plan comes in.

If you have an EHC Plan, then you are usually further up the admissions criteria than people that don't - which is why it's very, very significant if you feel one school can meet his needs so much better than another. You would also need on if applying to specialist provision - although this doesn't sound like the case for you.

sorry, I don't know anything about admissions to grammars - not something I ever come across.

lancsphys Thu 17-Dec-15 09:45:20

I'm starting to wonder who I'm seeing now. My GP didn't make it clear who she was referring me to and it's also not clear on the letter, but we've been sent a raft of forms to fill in about attention, concentration etc. Maybe we're actually seeing a paediatrician?

orangepudding Thu 17-Dec-15 11:31:33

Could be a clinical psychologist, they can diagnose adhd and ADHD.

lancsphys Thu 17-Dec-15 14:47:06

Well I guess all I can do is ask him or her!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: