Talk

Advanced search

ORT?

(13 Posts)
ihearttc Tue 15-Dec-15 18:45:32

Can someone please explain ORT for me? How do the book bands work in relation to other book bands?

DS2 has brought home a Level 1+ book but on the back it says Book Band 3 Yellow (both on the actual book not a school book band by the way!). It seems quite a bit harder than other ones he has brought home but is is a level 1 or a 3 cause Im completely confused?

irvine101 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:59:04

www.readingchest.co.uk/book-bands

ihearttc Tue 15-Dec-15 19:04:02

Thank you :-)

I have already looked on there and it didn't really explain. I can't understand why it says level 1+ and then Book Band 3 Yellow? All the other Stage 1+ ones we have had are Pink Book Band.

Im assuming it just spans all pink, red and yellow and the ones we are getting now are the harder ones hence the yellow banding? Is that ok for this stage in Reception?

mrz Tue 15-Dec-15 19:12:21

ORT level 1+ are normally pink book band ...which book is it?
fdslive.oup.com/www.oup.com/oxed/primary/literacy/ort/ort_chart/index.html?region=uk

ihearttc Tue 15-Dec-15 19:39:00

Thats what I thought Mrz!

Its called Good Dog...will see if I can somehow attach a picture but it definitely says Level 1+ then underneath Book Band 3 Yellow with a big yellow band.

chapca Tue 15-Dec-15 19:53:15

I see what you mean. I find the book bands so confusing

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/019848092X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1450209166&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=good+dog+oxford&dpPl=1&dpID=51MTi4tonpL&ref=plSrch

ihearttc Tue 15-Dec-15 19:53:55

This is what it looks like...

ihearttc Tue 15-Dec-15 19:56:26

Ah you beat me to it! Didn't think of looking on Amazon.

I'm very impressed that I've managed to attach a picture-been trying to do that for ages!

Nicknamegrief Tue 15-Dec-15 20:01:26

Could the 1+ relate to the old curriculum levels?

mrz Tue 15-Dec-15 20:13:31

It's an old Look and Say book written so that children memorise whole words by repetition and guessing from the pictures
The level 1+ is the ORT level based on this system and the yellow book band is based on RR criteria ...

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 15-Dec-15 20:19:03

The older ORT books pre-date bookbands so don't fit exactly. Each ORT level spans several book bands. Similarly for each book band you will get a few books from several ORT levels. It's to do with the fact that ORT were using slightly different criteria for leveling books than were eventually used for book bands.

The newer ORT series had the book bands in mind when they were written, so all the books in a level will be from the same book band.

ihearttc Tue 15-Dec-15 20:19:35

Ah ok...so Im assuming thats not what they should be reading?

He has read it fine first time-he got stuck on "very" but apart from that ok.

mrz Tue 15-Dec-15 20:49:18

The book would be better sent home at a later time when he has learnt the sounds/spellings to decode the words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now