Talk

Advanced search

What is an "Assembly"?

(15 Posts)
ishallconquerthat Mon 07-Dec-15 21:58:33

I found out that DS1, in year 1, is in the school assembly. I learnt it when some other mum congratulated him. He told me that 2 children in each class are part of the assembly, and that they "work to make the school even better." Apparently he also learns things about behaviour, how to be a kind person, etc

I'm not from the UK and have no idea what he's talking about. He is quite clever, but also has some behaviour problems, so I'm wondering what this assembly is about. What do they do in one? Is it the same in every school or is something that only happens in his school?

I realize these are probably very stupid questions, that's why I'm embarassed to ask IRL... blush

NickNacks Mon 07-Dec-15 22:01:29

It's where the school have group worship and gather to share information and community learning. He's probably part of the teaching and showing to the rest of the school. Most schools have assembly each day.

PenelopePitstops Mon 07-Dec-15 22:03:06

Assembly is where all the kids are sat in the hall and sing songs and hear stories with morals. They are the school equivalent of a church service but usually without the God and more of a focus on being nice. Often each class puts on a show or play about something (maybe a topic they are studying). The head teacher will also hand out rewards to pupils for good behaviour and attendance.

NickNacks Mon 07-Dec-15 22:03:35

Usually the whole school meets in the hall and they listen to a themed presentation type learning experience. Sometimes one teacher will leader or the local vicar and sometimes the teacher will get involved. The themes can revolve around the multicultural calendar or topics important to the school.

NickNacks Mon 07-Dec-15 22:04:22

Sometimes the children will get involved.

WipsGlitter Mon 07-Dec-15 22:07:04

Are you sure she didn't mean school council? In my kids school each class votes in two reps and they do the things you mention.

ishallconquerthat Mon 07-Dec-15 22:09:57

Thanks! I suppose they don't talk about God because the school has children from different religions, but yes, now it makes sense! smile

How often do they happen?

In this case, it makes no sense to have DS1 being "chosen" for the Assembly, as everyone goes there, right? Or maybe he was chosen to do something on one specific day?

Anyway, thanks, I feel less ignorant now! ;)

ishallconquerthat Mon 07-Dec-15 22:11:29

Wips that's it!!! blush It's the school council (I mixed the Assembly thing with the council thing. But it's good to find out about the Assembly anyway).

What is the school council??? smile

Ferguson Mon 07-Dec-15 22:29:37

Probably 1 or 2 children from each class meet with a few teachers, or a Governor and possibly the Headteacher, maybe once or twice each term, to discuss things that are good, or things that could be improved. It is to give the children some small control or 'say' in the way the school is run.

So, if there is any extra money to be spent on the school, the children might suggest what they would like to be bought - such as more sports equipment, improving the playground, or setting up a wildlife garden.

ishallconquerthat Mon 07-Dec-15 22:59:08

Ferguson thanks for that. It makes sense, that's probably the sort of thing DS1 is doing.

Thanks everyone, I'm less embarrassed and less ignorant now flowers

BackforGood Mon 07-Dec-15 23:17:04

I'm glad you feel you know now, but I'd encourage you to ask one of the other parents or one of the school staff - it won't show your are 'ignorant' it will just show you are an interested parents who was not brought up in our education system and would like to learn more. That's a positive thing, not a negative one.

irvine101 Mon 07-Dec-15 23:23:32

And you should be proud!!
At my ds's school, only popular children get elected as school council.
My ds wanted to do it but never got chosen. smile

hotdog74 Tue 08-Dec-15 08:13:15

What you are describing sounds much more like school council where pupils get together with a member of staff and discuss ways to improve particular issues in the school. it is usually considered to be an honour to be chosen.

Blu Tue 08-Dec-15 08:24:06

Look out for the 'Class Assembly' too. Many schools put one class in charge of presenting an assembly, with performances, readings, songs etc, and invite the parents in.

ishallconquerthat Tue 08-Dec-15 09:13:41

backforgood I feel more prepared to ask things now, that I at least have an idea of what those things are smile

irvine and hotdog I AM proud. I imagined it was some kind of honour to be chosen, but I always try to hold back my own pride and my enthusiasm (I'm a mum, my job is to think that my DC are geniuses, the most interesting and kind children in the world. But I can't let them believe they are any of those things, IYNWIM ;) )

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now