Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me if this is 'normal' spelling for a year 6?

(79 Posts)
berylbainbridge Mon 07-Dec-15 10:02:16

Lisining
diddn't
Creid (cried)
Tiket (ticket)
Streched
Comeing, likeing etc

But then spelling things like sauntered OK. Teacher doesn't seem to think there's a huge issue but dd is upset about her spelling ability and it's dragging her confidence down. She is a brilliant imaginative writer. To my eyes (and I don't say it to her at all) she should be able to spell some of these words. Thanks in advance for any views!

mmmminx Mon 07-Dec-15 10:07:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

berylbainbridge Mon 07-Dec-15 10:17:33

Thanks minx. It is more of a fast flowing story that I've spotted these in, something she's really enjoying writing. These were the 'worst' ones, there were many other smaller mistakes.

irvine101 Mon 07-Dec-15 10:48:45

Agree with mmmminx
My ds is a good speller, but makes similar mistakes when writing stories.
I was shocked to see his books at parents' eve, but teacher didn't seem to be concerned.
Now I tell him to read it again once he's finished.
Can she spot her own spelling mistakes?

berylbainbridge Mon 07-Dec-15 11:54:24

I think I'll let her finish it then go over it with her. Thanks.

TeddTess Mon 07-Dec-15 12:01:14

my yr5 DD can be a bit like this, better at harder spellings than the easier ones. it's almost like she slept through yr1 and yr2.

i would be a bit concerned that she isn't applying basic rules like dropping the e on come/like etc when adding ing. i would get a spelling workbook and go over these with her.

mrz Mon 07-Dec-15 13:15:08

Id be concerned that those spelling errors remain in Y6.

BlueChampagne Mon 07-Dec-15 13:19:45

Encourage her to self-edit once she's finished, if there's time.

Radiatorvalves Mon 07-Dec-15 13:28:05

The odd careless mistake is one thing, systematically spelling like that would be worrying. Can she see errors if you tell her they're wrong?

mrz Mon 07-Dec-15 13:28:25

I would check that she can spell those words in dictated sentences

patterkiller Mon 07-Dec-15 13:31:55

I'm struggling with my DD and her spelling and she's in year 8. We have at last found a teacher who says she would like to investigate, however I think we may have missed the boat as dd is now a very embarrassed 12 year old who is refusing any help.

berylbainbridge Mon 07-Dec-15 13:46:59

Thanks all. I'm actually a bit worried that something went 'wrong' in her earlier schooling and there's basic things she's just not getting. I'm going to sit down with her to edit what she's done so far. I'll also try her with your suggestion Mrz.

mrz Mon 07-Dec-15 13:56:07

The most common reason for children to continue to make these kind of errors is that they've not been taught and errors left uncorrected I'm afraid. The more times you see and write a word incorrectly the more it becomes the default spelling.

atreya Mon 07-Dec-15 13:59:19

I would check that she can spell those words in dictated sentences

This! And I would be concerned at those errors in year 6

VenusRising Mon 07-Dec-15 14:11:28

The thing about spelling lists and tests are that they are lovely for kids who are good at spelling tests and lists, and absolutely counter productive for everyone else.

Ime it's not important at all for kids to learn how to spell from lists, but it is essential that kids know what these words mean.

Please don't let your DDs "spelling test failures" influence her self espeem.
It's far more important that she is creatively writing and making up stories, and that her comprehension is excellent.

The spellings will come later in a more natural environment, like through reading and exposure, and with spell checker!

mrz Mon 07-Dec-15 14:16:35

I agree learning lists of words for tests isn't a good way to improve spelling.

mrz Mon 07-Dec-15 14:18:55

I'm afraid spelling doesn't always come later for many children/adults and us too important to be ignored.

berylbainbridge Mon 07-Dec-15 14:31:01

What should I do to help her? sad

berylbainbridge Mon 07-Dec-15 14:33:20

Venus, her creative writing ability is fantastic as is her comprehension, and she's reading way above her age. But her bad spelling is becoming more and more apparent as she gets older.

angelcake20 Mon 07-Dec-15 14:41:13

My year 6 DD has a spelling age 2 years below her chronological age, although she does well otherwise. School are slightly concerned but aren't doing anything about it, although I've been convinced she's dyslexic since year 2 and have raised it at every parents evening. In general the school works very hard on teaching spelling rules etc but DD never thinks about applying them. Spelling tests are certainly no help; she usually gets them all right but makes mistakes on much simpler words in ordinary writing. I would expect her to get the words you listed correct, except for listening. I thought that testing spelling age was normal in schools now; have you had an opportunity to discuss it with her teacher? I keep a list of words she gets wrong at home and we try to work on those but she's very inconsistent. She's also very poor at spotting errors, including missing words, when she proof reads. Not sure what else I can do. Year 8 DS is nowhere near as bad but has been sent for extra spelling sessions at his selective school. They don't get it from me <<hastily proofreading>>.

mrz Mon 07-Dec-15 14:41:18

Encourage her to use a precise spelling voice to gear the sounds in words (almost over pronounce - we all know saying Wed nes day helps )
Highlight the parts she gets wrong - the sound /s/ is spelt <st> in listen - can she think of other words that have the same sound /spelling (say lis ten)

Cried - does she know <ie> spelling for sound?

Has she been taught contractions?

Basically go back and find gaps relating to words she often gets wrong it's why leaving errors uncorrected is no longer regarded as good idea (and corrections don't stunt creativity)

TeddTess Mon 07-Dec-15 14:42:04

The most common reason for children to continue to make these kind of errors is that they've not been taught and errors left uncorrected I'm afraid. The more times you see and write a word incorrectly the more it becomes the default spelling.

this is the exact issue dd has. i have had to get cross with her when she writes mounth not month, proberly not probably etc. they've just been left uncorrected for too long! now i've cracked down a bit and told her they do matter she is suddenly trying harder and doing much better.

maizieD Mon 07-Dec-15 16:50:27

I will say, yet again, that spelling problems are far more common than reading problems; though reading problems are much more high profile.

You DD is clearly applying phonetics to spelling; she's identified the sounds in the words, she just doesn't quite know how to spell them. So she's halfway there!

In addition to suggestions already made:

If she does do corrections what process does she use? I'd suggest writing the word correctly a number of times, to reinforce kinaesthetic memory of how the word 'feels' to write and, with each repetition, saying the 'sounds' as she spells them. Don't have anything to do with letter names as they don't make any connection between the 'sounds' in the word and the way they are spelled.

Some very useful software is a 'text to speech' programme, if you can find a free one that speaks British English rather than American English. This will 'read' words once they've been written and really reinforce the principle that to produce a 'correct' word the sound spellings within it must be correct. It's the only IT based help that I ever found at all useful when working with KS3 children.

Keeptrudging Mon 07-Dec-15 17:02:10

Wordshark spelling programme is excellent for learning through games, plus it tracks progress/shows errors - I've even used it with 6th years for practicing chemistry/biology words as you can input your own word lists.

I would be concerned by those spellings, she hasn't grasped basic rules, or if she has she's not proofreading/correcting her work. I would encourage her to stop after every paragraph and check - it's very easy for enthusiastic writers to get carried away and not want to stop their 'flow', she needs to get in the habit of self-correcting. If she's not even spotting the errors I would talk to school again about your concerns.

Mashabell Mon 07-Dec-15 17:08:44

Some children who are very good writers, in terms of language use, find concentrating on spelling very difficult.

I would ask if she would like u to help her. If yes, i would pick out just a few of the words which break regular patterns (ticket, comeing, likeing) and ask her if she can see where she went wrong herself. She may well do so.
If not, remind her what the rule is.

Leaving out irregular letters (streTched - touched), or writing letters the wrong way roung (creid) is common, because English spelling keeps throwing spanners in the works (e.g. kaleidoscope). This tends to get better over time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now