Talk

Advanced search

year 6 DD's mums!

(14 Posts)
irvine101 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:39:39

My ds (Yr3), seems to have a crush on a girl in yr6. I' m not sure, but after writing a Christmas cards to his friends, he told me he is doing one for a girl in yr6.

I' m a bit worried since there is no system for mailing card at his school, he has to hand it to her in person.

I was a girl once, so I kind of understand dynamics going on among girls that age. She might get embarrassed to receive a card from a little boy?
Does she get teased for it? What do your DD's reaction would be?
Should I stop him? Any thought please?

TIA.

nancy75 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:43:09

He might get teased for it, and girls of this age are not great when embarrassed, she might put it in the bin in front of him! It is very cute, if he is desperate to give her a card how about doing a few for her friends too?

Hoppinggreen Thu 03-Dec-15 16:45:58

My DD said that she would think that it was really cute and so would her friends. She doesnt think anyone would get teased.
This is in a large semi rural mixed but tending towards mc school if that helps.

Hoppinggreen Thu 03-Dec-15 16:47:54

However, DD is quite kind and gentle with a younger brother - there are a couple of girls in her year who would probably be a bit mean to him.

irvine101 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:48:16

Yes, I can see that happen. I kind of warned him that she might not like it.
But he is adamant that he want to do it. Doing for her friends is a good idea, but I'm not even sure if he knows other girls' names!

irvine101 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:52:53

I think the girl is very sweet. I think she helped him with something once.
I don't want her to be teased because of my ds. It would be horrible.

I don't know anybody from year6, so I don't know what's girls are like in that year group.

kimlo Thu 03-Dec-15 16:56:49

In dd2s school no one would he teased, but this is a small school and theres a lot of mixing between the years. In reception dd2 mostly played with year 6, the year 6 boys loved her for some reason.

Kampeki Thu 03-Dec-15 16:58:48

My did is in year 6 and loves the little ones. Mixing across the age groups is actively encouraged in her school.

She might think it was a bit surprising, but she'd probably find it cute. She received a birthday party invitation from a reception child the other day, and she thought that was adorable!

Year 3 is still young enough to be cute for a year 6. Year 4/5 perhaps less so.

AliciaMayEmory Thu 03-Dec-15 17:00:14

There would be no teasing in my DC s school either. I can't quite see what there is to be teased about! Surely the year 6 girl would just think it was sweet and the year 3 boy would be happy he has given her the card. Many kids give cards to both younger and older kids at school.

irvine101 Thu 03-Dec-15 17:11:40

That sounds great, thank you Mums!

He said he doesn't know any other girls, so it seems like we can't use nancy75 's suggestions.

I'm ok with him being teased, he has been warned.(although I don't know he understood). I'm worried about the girl. I just hope those girls are like one of yours, lovely ones.

lljkk Thu 03-Dec-15 19:36:44

My DD would have thought that was very sweet & lovely.
My yr3 boy, his mates wouldn't even comprehend.

TeenAndTween Thu 03-Dec-15 19:57:57

Most of the y6 girls in DD's class would think it lovely.
My DD has friends in all sorts of lower year groups.

TeddTess Mon 07-Dec-15 12:03:19

yr6 girls can be complete bitches!!

if he "knows" her from some activity, then maybe he could write in it "thanks for helping me with x" or whatever.

i wouldn't worry about her being teased, i would worry about her being a bit embarrassed, reacting badly and your ds being devastated.

irvine101 Mon 07-Dec-15 12:15:15

Thank you. I don't think he had a chance to give her the card yet.
He is kind of shy, but could be fearless sometimes, so I can't really imagine how he's going to do it. I don't think he can just go up to her when she's surrounded by girls, but he might.
I don't think he knows her well, I think she helped him with something in the playground once.
I'm worried about her more than him, but I can't stop him. He is very stubborn...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now