Talk

Advanced search

Gifts for teachers

(17 Posts)
amw321 Wed 02-Dec-15 16:04:39

Hi there I have looked at some of the previous forums but they are a bit old now so wanted some fresh info.
I have been nominated to organise a collection for my daughter’s teachers end of year gift with all the parents. I just had a few questions I wanted to ask before I start collecting to get some ideas.
What is a decent gift teachers actually want?
How much money do you think we should each contribute?
do you have any suggestions on the best way to organise the money and make sure everybody contributes?

TeenAndTween Wed 02-Dec-15 16:38:46

I don't think people should be made to contribute.
I'm also not convinced it should be a set amount.
Actually, I'm not that keen on class collections anyway.
Sorry, no help at all.

Jo4040 Wed 02-Dec-15 16:40:38

I think a collection to go for a meal/afternoon tea/beauty salon vouchers would be nice

irvine101 Wed 02-Dec-15 16:55:08

I agree with TeenAndTween.
If I think I wanted thank teacher, I would do it personally.

That said, there was collection of £2 for each parents in the past(for not favourite teacher of mine), I paid it because it was such a small amount of money, and I didn't want to argue.

IoraRua Wed 02-Dec-15 16:58:56

I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if given a big present from all the parents tbh. But then, I work in a disadvantaged school so some of our parents wouldnt be able to afford that.

However, if someones going to give something, I rather have something I can use in class. Story sacks, lego, art supplies, science equipment, class library books. A Twinkl subscription for a year, mini whiteboards etc.

jo164 Wed 02-Dec-15 17:40:16

Big extravagant presents make me, as a teacher feel uncomfortable as well. A small thank you because the child or parent are appreciative is lovely. I had a bottle of wine and some hand cream given to me the other day as I had taken children to an event which went above and beyond normal expectations. This was a lovely gesture, not expected but not too over the top either.

febreeze Thu 03-Dec-15 09:22:33

If they drink then a bottle of champagne. £30 max so £1 per child.

Do not get a TWINKL subscription- many schools prohibit its use.

IoraRua Thu 03-Dec-15 13:41:19

Interesting. Why are schools banning Twinkl?

DullUserName Thu 03-Dec-15 19:11:28

If there is to be a collection, Amazon vouchers are brilliant, and end up getting spent on stuff for school anyway!

BTW - have never heard of a school that banned Twinkl. Twinkl is goooooood. Maybe confused it with Sparklebox (was owned by a twice-convicted paedophile)?

IoraRua Thu 03-Dec-15 20:57:22

I was thinking that was the one they meant UserName - just didn't want to say in case they actually meant Twinkl.

SavoyCabbage Thu 03-Dec-15 21:03:30

I would ask for 50p and get some flowers or a book for the classroom. You can't make sure everyone contributes really as people might not want to.

I don't like them either bras a teacher or as a parent. I want child to know that they are getting the teacher a present. Be involved in wrapping it up. Carry it in to school. Be excited about it. Not sit there while the class rep's child gives a big old gift to the teacher.

SavoyCabbage Thu 03-Dec-15 21:04:31

Bras! grin Didn't mean that obviously!

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 03-Dec-15 21:11:44

Oh god this is a huge thing at our school among some of the parents. Last year they didn't know what to get so handed over a card and a big envelope of cash, whilst 30 children and their parents all stood at the classroom door watching. It was absolutely cringe worthy. Poor woman looked horrified whilst trying very hard to be appreciative.

Or the year before when they presented teacher with a massive framed print of children's hand prints. Seriously what are the chances of a chap in his mid twenties wanting to hang that in his home?

I think it's mostly the "big presentation of gifts" fan fair that makes my toes curl.

MrsKCastle Thu 03-Dec-15 21:21:01

I don't like whole class gifts either. But if the parents want to do it, then I'd suggest:
Make it entirely voluntary, no pressure.
Very low suggested donation- £1 or £2.
Get a card for ALL children to sign, regardless of whose parents contributed
If you do collect a reasonable amount, buy something nice for the classroom or a good quality children's book.

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 03-Dec-15 21:22:41

I could get on board if it was just £1 - £2 each donation but when they want £10 from everyone then I think a £300 gift is just a bit much really!

febreeze Thu 03-Dec-15 23:05:51

Certainly not confusing Twinkl with sparklebox!

The increased focus on the classroom learning environment including high quality adult modelled handwriting and an environment that is accurately reflects the learning means that lots of schools say no to anything that is one size fits all 'wallpaper'.

Many of the images of children are frankly appalling and promote stereotypes.

AuntieUrsula Thu 03-Dec-15 23:58:01

They ask for £10 a head at DD's school, which I think is excessive but it seems to be what parents want to pay. It goes on vouchers.

It's obviously not compulsory though and there's always some parents who don't join in because they want to do their own thing or not do it at all, and that's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now