Talk

Advanced search

Guided Reading old fashioned or still relevant?

(11 Posts)
2flowerpots Sun 29-Nov-15 19:24:24

I've spoken to a few schools recently and most are still carrying on with guided reading in KS2. I have trialed pre-reading based on Rob at the LiteracySheds post, and really enjoy it but recently it has been brought to my attention that it not a practice that all schools still use.

So to guided read or not in KS2?

Galena Sun 29-Nov-15 20:13:59

We do guided reading. I haven't read 'Robat the LiteracyShed's' post, but I feel children benefit from discussing texts and having 'good' answers modelled for them. I guess it depends how you do guided reading, whether or not it is effective.

jipjap Sun 29-Nov-15 20:15:43

My DC's school does guided reading. It's outdated IMO.

2flowerpots Sun 29-Nov-15 20:18:29

Thanks, I still continue with guided groups, I just try to make them as focused as possible in the sessions when they are independent, using and developing comprehension skills.

Is anyone scrapping guided reading and just teaching these skill in English lessons every other week?

teeththief Sun 29-Nov-15 20:29:29

Neither of my ks2 DC do guided reading (different schools).

starry0ne Sun 29-Nov-15 20:36:17

My DS K2.. why is it outdated? His favourite subject btw

rollonthesummer Sun 29-Nov-15 21:03:49

I hate guided reading and always have done! It's ok in upper KS2 for text discussion, but that could be done whole class.

I much prefer individual reading in KS1, but it's very time consuming and there's always the 'what are the rest of the class doing?' issue for 2.5 hours a week!

mrz Mon 30-Nov-15 06:47:00

We've never used guided reading.

PicInAttic Mon 30-Nov-15 19:53:53

We've moved away from Guided Reading to a much more focussed whole class reading approach. Children seem to be getting much more from it and staff prefer it so think for us, G Rdg is now outsmarted.

amysmummy12345 Mon 30-Nov-15 19:58:39

We had to do guided reading in reception in my school... #pullingteeth

IoraRua Mon 30-Nov-15 22:47:58

We do guided reading as part of our station teaching. Very effective for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now