Talk

Advanced search

KS2 SATS

(4 Posts)
idiuntno57 Thu 26-Nov-15 19:32:39

Am I being too laid back about these in that I am not investing time/energy/money prepping DC for them?

They are to do with the school rather than the child aren't they?

Not sure if it would change my approach if it were the latter rather than the former but I'd probably get more engaged in the process.

What do any other Y6 parents think?

TeenAndTween Thu 26-Nov-15 19:57:01

DD1 did them 6 years ago. DD2 is currently in y6.

They are about both the school and the child.

The primary school gets measured on them.

But for secondary, some targets (that the secondary gets measured on) are set from the KS2 results. If your child's results are too low, the secondary will be 'happy' with lower results in secondary too (up to a point). If the KS2 results are 'too high' your child may be set unachievable targets which may be demotivating. 'Just right' and a school mighty intervene if progress is not as expected. My DD1 had intervention in y9 as she wasn't making expected progress in English.

However, more important than all that in my opinion, is getting the foundations right in primary to allow the child to fly in secondary.

So if a child enters secondary on lower than level 4 (old money) for literacy, they may struggle in secondary to show their knowledge and understanding across all the curriculum subjects.

So in y6, it's not about prepping for SATs per se, but ensuring they have solid foundations numeracy and literacy.

TeenAndTween Thu 26-Nov-15 20:12:40

So in summary, I think getting to L4 (old measures) is important, but beyond that I'm not so fussed (though that could just be a reflection on my children's abilities).

I will be doing work with DD2, but she finds schoolwork hard. But this will be based on basics, not on 'passing' the SATs.

teeththief Thu 26-Nov-15 22:08:03

We haven't and won't do anything towards them. DS (y6) lost a lot of confidence socially when he started year 3 (juniors) but seems intent on working on his social circle this year, and he's succeeding with it. He's fine academically so we've decided, at least for now, to leave him to it.

I think if he was struggling academically it would be a different story though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now