Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help with this homework.

(11 Posts)
Everythinghappensforareason1 Mon 23-Nov-15 18:58:24

I cannot get my head around this last question, feeling very silly can someone explain please question starts change the number....

irvine101 Mon 23-Nov-15 19:29:58

I'm not sure but...
First 1/3 one has 1 broken and 2 not broken bulb.
so if you break one more, 1/3 + 1/3 = 2/3 broken light bulbs, something like that?

Everythinghappensforareason1 Mon 23-Nov-15 19:39:46

Thank you so much for you input much appreciated.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 23-Nov-15 19:47:30

I don't think it's you being silly.

At first glance I would say you had to draw each set of light bulbs from the previous question again, but change the number of light bulbs that are broken. Then write a new fraction to show the picture you have drawn. So you draw the string of 3 light bulbs, but with 2 broken bulbs not 3 so the fraction becomes 2/3 .

I don't get the 'do this 5 times' bit though. There are 6 strings so drawing 5 of them contradicts the 'draw each set' instruction. but you can't draw all of the sets of lights 5 times to get 5 different answers and even if you could it would take ages and be rather pointless task.

InternationalHouseofToast Mon 23-Nov-15 19:55:59

I think you just need to colour in some more bulbs on 5 of the strings and write down what the resulting fractions are, so 3 bulbs out on a string of 6 is 1/2, 2 bulbs out on a string of 3 is 2/3 etc.

Everythinghappensforareason1 Mon 23-Nov-15 20:04:19

Thank everyone, this is now making more sense

SummerNights1986 Tue 24-Nov-15 00:32:34

It's very poorly worded op so you're not being silly at all. If it helps, I have a Maths A Level and I don't get it grin

'Change the number of broken bulbs on each set and write the new fraction' - so you just break one or two more on each string, then write what the fraction would be for each.

The 'do this 5 times' throws me. I've no idea - it's not possible. There are 6 sets overall so it can't mean make one change for each set. And some of the strings have less than 5 bulbs to start with, so you can't break up to 5 more on each set iyswim?

stareatthetvscreen Tue 24-Nov-15 00:53:50

maybe they mean 5 times in total

Tomboyinatutu Tue 24-Nov-15 01:12:27

I think it says do it five times because you can't change the one with two lightbulbs (1/2) into a different fraction

Atenco Tue 24-Nov-15 01:53:34

Appallingly worded question though

MaidrinRua Wed 25-Nov-15 09:27:58

I'm assuming they want you to write the fraction of unbroken bulbs? No?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now