Talk

Advanced search

Teaching assistant's spelling error in reading diary?

(67 Posts)
susannahmoodie Fri 20-Nov-15 16:51:43

Wwyd? DS is in reception and has brought his reading diary home. It has a comment from the TA that says :"Well done [ds' name] you new all the tricky words and I can tell you have been practising your numbers as you new 1-20 too".

I'm not teacher bashing- I'm one myself! But not sure of primary protocol here.....

irvine101 Fri 20-Nov-15 16:57:54

I would just leave it.
If the spelling mistake was on actual words for spelling, I would cross out wrong one and write correct spelling(happened to my ds), but for notes/comments, everybody makes mistakes sometimes?

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 20-Nov-15 17:09:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Samcro Fri 20-Nov-15 17:13:49

i imagine they have a lot to do.

Wolfie2 Fri 20-Nov-15 17:15:41

Id just leave it. TA's can sometimes be super qualified teachers with additional MA's or just have basic TA qualifications. Either way they are worth their weight in gold.

needastrongone Fri 20-Nov-15 17:19:01

I agree, I reckon there are many other things to worry about, don't be overly concerned. It definitely wasn't a parent that was listening to the children read maybe?

simbobs Fri 20-Nov-15 17:20:27

I agree that they are important, but incorrectly writing a word twice is pretty sloppy. I'm afraid I would have my red pen out! IME it is not just the TAs either. I have been appalled by the grammar, both spoken and written, exhibited by some teachers. My DC are at secondary now, but I had an issue with it at primary. They are in a position of responsibility, the children look up to them, so they have a duty to get it right.

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 20-Nov-15 17:24:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

irvine101 Fri 20-Nov-15 17:40:43

simbobs
The notes at stage is written purely for parents to read, right?
So, I don't think there is no harm done to dc, unless they can read it themselves and learn the wrong spelling! shock

zzzzz Fri 20-Nov-15 17:43:50

If you are rude about her spelling she will write as little as possible in the book. Do you want the information or do you want to show off that you know the difference between knew and new confused??

StealthPolarBear Fri 20-Nov-15 17:45:33

I'm pretty surprised at a ta not knowing that. It's quite a basic word.

CocktailQueen Fri 20-Nov-15 17:45:44

What, she could spell 'practising' correctly but not 'new'? That's pretty damn basic.

I think I'd have to say something - sorry!!

Even if you're rushing, you do NOT write 'new' for 'knew' - not in a million years. if she can't do something so basic, then what else is she getting wrong? And she's helping to teach dc literacy...

eleven59 Fri 20-Nov-15 17:48:26

I think TA's should have a certain standard of Maths and English. They really should know the difference between new and knew.

PeekABooPinky101 Fri 20-Nov-15 17:51:00

I'm dyslexic, and while it's not an excuse, maybe she was focusing hard on writing something at all and left the k off.
I know sometimes i can make 'simple mistakes' because I'm concentrating on the bigger words.

Maybe a little word with the actual teacher just to say you noticed - let the teacher do the talking to the ta if she deems it needed. Once pointed out the ta will never make that error again.

irvine101 Fri 20-Nov-15 17:54:22

I am quite shocked at response from Stealth, CocktailQueen and eleven.
I'm sure TA knows how to spell knew, but she might have 30 comments to write, while doing all the other things...
What's wrong with people?
We are not always perfect.

insan1tyscartching Fri 20-Nov-15 18:00:25

Ds had an SEN TA who was barely literate. I was incredibly tolerant for quite a while even if deciphering what she had written in his liaison book was an effort. It wasn't until ds came home complaining that she had marked his answers wrong (when they were correct) that I raised it with the SENCo and took in his liaison book to show her. She was agency staff covering the notice period for a newly appointed SEN TA. She was replaced by the end of the week and the SENCo said I should have raised it earlier. We had other spelling mistakes in his liaison book by other TAs that I haven't mentioned tbh but would if it was repetitive.

StealthPolarBear Fri 20-Nov-15 18:04:13

Irvine if you know how to spell 'knew' surely it's easier to get right than wrong. It doesn't actually take any brain power to spell basic words. I haven't just deleted wurds and replaced it. It's not a typo or an auto correct.

wonderpants Fri 20-Nov-15 18:07:48

It may be a parent helper or other volunteer. I think generally schools are so glad to have someone listen to children read, that they don't ask for gsce English as a requirement!

M4blues Fri 20-Nov-15 18:11:49

I'd be jumping for joy that she hadn't written 'practicing'. One of mine was acted to practice stuff all year.

irvine101 Fri 20-Nov-15 18:12:20

I always misspell words and miss out words when writing, get embarrassed when I read it afterwards. I am foreign, but that's not a excuse because I know how to spell those words. But when rushing, it happens.

Obviously, if she keeps making similar mistakes over time, it is an issue.

MrsKCastle Fri 20-Nov-15 18:14:52

StealthPolarBear it is perfectly possible to make errors, even with words you know very well. I have made mistakes like confusing the/they in the past when trying to get something written quickly.

StealthPolarBear Fri 20-Nov-15 18:16:34

Ok. I stand corrected. I suspect they/the is a rushing lack of attention to detail whereas knew and new relates to the fact they are pronounced the same.

RoganJosh Fri 20-Nov-15 18:18:33

I don't see the point in telling her, it's not as though your child is going to read it?

unicorn501 Fri 20-Nov-15 18:20:37

Oh please just leave it! I am a TA and I have seen the most experienced teachers make spelling mistakes... It happens to everyone, particularly if you are in a rush. It's not in your child's actual book, they're not going to read it or copy it.

OnTheEdgeToday Fri 20-Nov-15 18:27:32

I would leave it. When you are writing with children in your ear, it is pretty difficult to actually write what you are trying to say. She got one word wrong...she may have thought she had already put the 'k' on.

I dont know how many times ive been writing in my childrens reading records and had to stop myself midway from writing words that were being spoken, rather than what i was actually trying to write.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now