Talk

Advanced search

When should children move up a book band?

(8 Posts)
AIN Fri 20-Nov-15 16:38:28

My little boy has started reception this September. He knew most of his letter sounds and could read the word 'the'. He could sound out cvc words only.

Now he can sound out cvcc words, and some longer words and has about 4/5 sight words too. He has to sound out almost all non sight words before reading them. It takes him a whole week to finish one book. The teacher wrote in his book next time to choose a yellow book. I think this is way too soon, and will damage his confidence that he has only just got with reading. Is this the norm?

Ferguson Fri 20-Nov-15 18:40:14

What colour band has he been on previously?? 'Yellow' is only the third level up, and is for 4 to 5 years old. BUT probably not all the words are 'decodable' by basic Phonics methods, so he will need help with some words.

As long as you support his reading in a sympathetic and relaxed way, and don't demand he gets every word right, he should cope OK. I'll give you a couple of things that may help you both:

ONE - An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

TWO - When reading harder books with a child, get him to point to words as he goes along. If he knows the word, or can sound it out, he can say it. If he doesn't know the word, he can hover his finger over it, and YOU say the word for him. Don't stop to analyse or discuss the word at this stage, but try and keep the 'flow' of reading going. Review difficulties at the end, if you wish to. This way, he has the satisfaction of reading more difficult books, without the fear of getting 'stuck' on words.

Even in really difficult books there will be some words he either knows, or can sound out, so don't be afraid to tackle more advanced books. Just don't put him under pressure, and let him read the words he can, and you do the rest.

AIN Fri 20-Nov-15 19:10:06

He's on red at the moment, but at parents evening we picked up a pink book and he still can't comfortably read that!

WhirlwindHugs Fri 20-Nov-15 19:31:26

I would speak to the teacher and ask why they think he's ready to go up.

I don't know about other schools, but ours seems to expect them to be fairly confident before going up. Does seem quite speedy to expect him to be reading yellow - it's only november.

Finola1step Fri 20-Nov-15 19:33:33

I agree that he's not yet ready for yellow level books, if its book band level 3 the teacher is referring to. Sounds like he's going just fine as he is.

mrz Fri 20-Nov-15 19:36:44

At this stage I would expect him to be able to decode the words in the book and to be able to be able to talk about what he's read. Fluency will come in time.

Sirzy Fri 20-Nov-15 19:38:59

Our school send them home with a book the level below what they are reading in school because the home readers they are meant to be able to read 90% of it wighout any help so they can focus on understanding the story and knowing what they are reading.

mrz Fri 20-Nov-15 20:10:14

That's a look and say criteria with phonics the book should provide practise for what they are taught.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now