Talk

Advanced search

starting to read/write

(13 Posts)
VegetablEsoup Fri 20-Nov-15 08:12:01

that old nut again, sorry.
dc is 6 and in year one.
reading is ok for this age (I think, am not sure), can sound out words but struggles with 2-3 letter sounds.
but it seems they can't write, they copy letters fine and write the words from the spelling list but don't know what they are writing and are struggling to write own sentences.

does this sound ok for this stage? or should the be able to do more by now?

(I don't remember how it was with older dc...)

WildStallions Fri 20-Nov-15 08:18:57

Sounds a concern to me.

WildStallions Fri 20-Nov-15 08:20:39

Please remember they DONT all 'get there in the end'. 20% of children leave primary not reading and writing properly.

So you are right to act on your concerns now and not wait for school to raise an issue.

DonkeyOaty Fri 20-Nov-15 08:21:34

I would pop to see the teacher, see what they think.

VegetablEsoup Fri 20-Nov-15 08:25:28

thanks, will see teacher soon, but don't know if dc is on track or not.
dc is very good with numbers and fine motor skills.

WildStallions Fri 20-Nov-15 08:27:33

Teacher will just tell you not to worry. That's what they always do.

Last thing they want is a worried parent.

Or they might tell you to do more with her at home. Pretending a complex problem has a simple answer.

Perhaps ask to speak with the teacher and the SENCO? But first do what you're doing now and get a good picture of where she is compared to where she should be.

WildStallions Fri 20-Nov-15 08:28:48

I'm sure you know that a big difference between Maths and English skills indicate a problem and shouldn't be ignored.

VegetablEsoup Fri 20-Nov-15 08:39:18

considering that a cousin in another country isn't even in school yet at the same age...

isn't it funny how you forget how it was with older dc?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 20-Nov-15 09:09:28

Does your DC struggle with all 2-3 letter sounds, or just a few that he doesn't know well yet?

It does sound like he is behind, particularly with the writing but there will almost certainly be children who are further behind at this stage.

Agree with WildStallions that I wouldn't be happy with not to worry or platitudes that they will catch up. But I wouldn't at this stage worry that an issue means that DC will always be behind. With the right help now he could make good progress and catch up before the gap grows even further.

louisejxxx Fri 20-Nov-15 09:38:36

I would also be concerned with the writing. Ds is also in year 1...at this stage I think they should be quite comfortable with writing sentences phonetically and starting to use things like capital letters and full stops.

tinkerbellvspredator Fri 20-Nov-15 09:49:48

My DD is Y1 not 6 for a while. She struggles with reading most 2/3 letter sounds but gets the easier ones. She reads most easy words (eg cat, I, tick) without sounding out now. She has been writing sentences phonetically with full stops for a while. She can learn spellings short term but not retain them so we're not bothering really with spellings. I believe she's towards the top of the class for phonics.

SheHasAWildHeart Fri 20-Nov-15 09:52:51

I was recently worried about DD's spelling. Her maths and reading both fine, but spelling a real struggle. I was confused by the teacher's contradictory comments. I took DD to a 'free assessment' at a tuition centre. Was a bit dubious and thought they might say she needed help with everything so they could sell their services to me. But they did the assessment and confirmed what I already thought - ahead of her age for maths and reading, but spelling was an issue. It was actually nice to have another 'opinion'. So I've been making a real effort at home with her spellings, taking it right back to basics and giving her the one-to-one learning that they don't get at school. Maybe you could get a second opinion from someone?

VegetablEsoup Fri 20-Nov-15 10:03:38

thanks all.
very helpful indeed.
lots of food for thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now