Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Making the school applications process easier!

(17 Posts)
mumonawire80 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:11:27

Hi,

Back again. So having found the school applications process so frustrating I have managed to get a meeting with my local council and could really use your help.

I have a very quick questionnaire I have created and would really appreciate it any of you could spare a minute or two to fill it out for me. I’m thinking about the things that are most important to us parents when it comes to making these decisions.

Here’s the link. As I said, it would be great if you could spare a few minutes of your time. :-)

bccweb.typeform.com/to/ENVTSm

Much appreciated!

soontobemrsmckeown Tue 17-Nov-15 21:05:09

Done

Totallyoutoforder Tue 17-Nov-15 21:08:32

Done

mumonawire80 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:01:32

thanks every so much!

mumonawire80 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:09:40

Thank you for all of those who have managed to fill it in so far. The more I get the more of an impact we can make. I'm hoping the ripples will be felt by other councils too.

Phineyj Tue 17-Nov-15 22:18:40

The main features that are important for me are I) whether my child has the slightest hope of getting in 2) the type of education on offer (round here 11+ is an option but only the private schools prepare for it) and 3) whether the wrap around care will enable me to get to my job. The other aspects you mention are rather unimportant compared to 1) and 3) for many people in the SE I suspect, and 2) is pretty important in Kent. I find it annoying that councils do not provide info on wrap around care or what % of parents at a school access it.

However, good luck with your campaign - councils certainly vary in how well they communicate.

mumonawire80 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:26:48

Thanks Phineyj. Very insightful.

mumonawire80 Wed 18-Nov-15 08:04:30

Morning all,

Does anybody else feel that the odds of getting your children into the school is a major factor? How about the wrap around care that Phineyj mentioned?

motheroreily Wed 18-Nov-15 08:08:04

Yes definately agree my top criteria is there any chance of me getting a place and is there after school provision.

mumonawire80 Wed 18-Nov-15 11:08:15

thanks motheroreily :-)

CruCru Wed 18-Nov-15 21:24:48

Done.

tiggytape Thu 19-Nov-15 09:26:02

Yes - the odds of your child getting in are (or should be) a main factor.
In London we have the chance to express 6 preferences which is pretty generous but even then it would be easy to waste most of them on schools which are local but not local enough.

No matter how much you absolutely love a school and think it is the perfect environment for your child, if you live 5.1 miles away and the last distance offered has not exceeded 1.46miles in the last seven years, there is no point setting great hopes on getting in.

It is fine to list 1 or 2 such schools on the principle of 'you never know' but you do also have to visit and then list schools which you know your child has some hope of getting into.
How much you like those schools doesn't really come into it except when deciding which one to place above another. In that sense, the main features they have aren't terribly relevant. For example if your only single sex school is 6 miles away, placing huge emphasis on wanting a single sex education won't do you any good in terms of actually getting it. No matter how much you want it, you will get co-ed.

99percentchocolate Thu 19-Nov-15 09:35:54

I don't know what other councils are like but my local one seems to do it pretty well - they publish lists every year going back a few years showing number of spaces, the criteria that was met with last child admitted (eg if out of catchment child was admitted, only up to sibling, or all applied offered) and the furthest distance away accepted. Really helpful and fantastic for being able to manage preferences/arrange visits.

99percentchocolate Thu 19-Nov-15 09:38:35

Also agree with pp about wrap around/after school clubs. One school I visited yesterday revealed that they only had space for 26 children out of over 300 at after school club. One parent said she wouldn't have bothered with the visit if she'd known that.

mumonawire80 Thu 19-Nov-15 13:51:01

thanks everyone

Phineyj Thu 19-Nov-15 21:57:00

That is crazy 99 percent. I wonder how they decide who gets them and if they have to reapply each term/year?

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Thu 19-Nov-15 22:03:17

I've done the survey. But I agree. My most important criteria were:
-chance of getting in
- ethos and atmosphere
- wrap around care

Some of those will be totally irrelevant to a lot of people too - I don't think my area has any single sex primary schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now