Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Visiting primary school with or without child?

(9 Posts)
newhouseplease Tue 17-Nov-15 19:34:24

We have a couple of appointments to view primary schools for DD who will start next September. I assumed we would take DD so she could see too but DH assumed we would not take her so as to be able to talk. Is there a norm? I'm seeing his point of view, but will the school expect to see the child?

suitcaseofdreams Tue 17-Nov-15 20:11:05

You mean for starting reception? I def wouldn't take her - way too distracting, hard for you to listen/concentrate and ask questions etc
School will not expect to see her at all!

When I went through this last year I went to see 4 possible schools on my own/without the kids (I have twins so doubly distracting!) - then when I had decided on first choice I took them back with me for 2nd visit - had I not been 100% sure we would get in I would not have done that though

School will do some sessions in summer term before they start reception in Sept to get to know the kids so no need to worry about DD not seeing it before then

x

0ddsocks Tue 17-Nov-15 20:13:59

We didn't take ours

Figgygal Tue 17-Nov-15 20:14:56

I've been to 3 with dh so far and I would say it's been 50/50 whether people have taken kids or not.

Personally I never thought of doing it before the first visit and was surprised to see so many people had. The schools welcomed children but for me I didn't think it necessary

Wrecktum Tue 17-Nov-15 20:28:20

Round our way most parents did take their kids. I chose not to - mine's a live one! I saw a fair few meltdowns and stressed-out parents on my visits. So, personally, I wouldn't take them.

ZiggyWiggy Tue 17-Nov-15 20:36:31

My husband and I have been to see three schools in the last month and we took our DS with us each time. We even took him out of pre school for one visit. We figured it's going to be his school and he should be included in the process. I think it's good to see your childs reaction and also see how the teachers interact with them.

AuntieStella Tue 17-Nov-15 20:36:32

Unless you have no option, don't take them. Unless you want to spend the coming months explaining there's more to choosing a school than the lovely red slide.

Or indeed that you can't just choose, and might have to go to a lower choice school.

MM5 Wed 18-Nov-15 05:34:17

From a schools point of view, in my opinion, without. Usually there is a large group being shown around and add children to the mix when viewing the school distracts from your ability to observe and ask questions.

hibbleddible Wed 18-Nov-15 13:09:32

I wouldn't.

I took dd naively to view one school and it was a nightmare and confusing for her.

As you are viewing several schools it will be even more confusing.

It's best to see the schools alone, then once you have a place at one, you can take dc to induction day etc.

At preschool age they are not able to have a meaningful opinion on which school they like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now