Talk

Advanced search

Will primary's do minute silence for Paris

(11 Posts)
chapca Sat 14-Nov-15 21:02:55

Hi
Just heard there will be a minutes silence on Monday for Paris victims. Do you think primary schools will observe this and talk about it to the kids? My 4 year old's Dad currently works in Paris during the week. We have decided not to talk to her about what has happened but I would hate her to find out at school and panic that her dad might be hurt.

ElinorRochdale Sat 14-Nov-15 21:09:25

She'll quite possibly hear talk in the playground even if the school don't do anything officially. Better if you, or her teachers, tell her an age appropriate version of the truth than that she hears some exaggerated stories that she only half understands.

nicp123 Sat 14-Nov-15 21:50:34

Not here!

LadyPenelope68 Sat 14-Nov-15 21:52:13

We won't know until we're in School on Monday and it's been decided by SMT.

nicp123 Sat 14-Nov-15 21:52:43

Some schools will incorporate in Debating clubs this but most will not even mention it.

PicInAttic Sat 14-Nov-15 21:57:14

I think the focus in a lot of schools on 'British Values' may lead many to mention it in an age appropriate way during an assembly, perhaps, whether they do the minutes silence or not. We did both after Tunisia. In your situation, I would just have quick word with office, teacher or head depending on who you are able to see first thing in a morning.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sat 14-Nov-15 22:00:11

I don't think you can keep this from her. The words Paris, terrorist, killed etc will be floating around a lot. You risk her hearing things and getting muddled and secretly terrified.

caravanista13 Sat 14-Nov-15 22:02:51

Definitely worth telling her an age appropriate version. Even at such a young age children pick up on snippets and get the wrong end of the stick.

Kreeshsheesh Sat 14-Nov-15 22:03:24

This is child appropriate and may help you to talk about it with your children.
www.bbc.co.uk/newsround

caravanista13 Sat 14-Nov-15 22:04:45

Posted too soon. This link is useful. ink{https://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families\www.aacap.org/AACAP/Familie]]s}andd_Youth/Factsforr_Families/FFF-Guide/Talking-To-Children-About-Terrorism-And-War-087.aspx

cariadlet Sun 15-Nov-15 17:41:40

After Tunisia, there was a 2 minute silence for KS2 classes at my school as it was felt that most children would be aware and that it could be discussed at an appropriate level. We didn't mention it in the Foundation or KS1 classes. It will probably be the same for Paris.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now