Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where can I find what my child needs to learn in Reception?

(9 Posts)
Http Sat 14-Nov-15 11:54:03

This might sound a bit obvious but Im rally struggling to find a simple list of what the child needs to be able to learn in his first year of school.

When I try Googling, I get lots of pdfs with frameworks and pages and pages of things I don't really understand.

I just want an idiots guide tbh. Something that says Maths- and then list everything he needs to know.

My child is behind in some areas and I wanted to go through things with him at home to support him.

Alos, are there any websites/ resources you could recommend for ideas/ worksheets etc.

Thank you

Http Sat 14-Nov-15 11:54:54

apologies for the typos! I have the kids jumping on my chair as I type!

glenthebattleostrich Sat 14-Nov-15 11:58:36

In reception they should still be working on the EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage) which covers from birth to 5.

www.foundationyears.org.uk/eyfs-statutory-framework/

If you look in the 40 - 60 month groups and in the outcomes that should give you an idea.

Bin85 Sat 14-Nov-15 11:59:46

There's a book called teach your toddler to learn
A bit dated but it would be a good starting point

glenthebattleostrich Sat 14-Nov-15 12:01:31

Sorry I just linked to a list of documents

This is the outcomes document which tells you what your child should be doing.

www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Early_Years_Outcomes.pdf

At our primary they also put the years curriculum online so might be worth checking your schools website.

glenthebattleostrich Sat 14-Nov-15 12:02:29

www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2015/09/4Children_ParentsGuide_Sept_2015v4WEB1.pdf

This one is one I give the parents I work with (childminder)

FusionChefGeoff Sat 14-Nov-15 12:03:45

Can you ask the school / teacher? That would be more specific to your child and their particular areas of difficulty.

Threeunderthree33 Sat 14-Nov-15 17:44:54

"What every parent need to know" by Toby Young is a guide to the national curriculum for parents. Not as much fun as his other books. Might fit the bill. Detailed outline of each year of primary school.

moab Sat 14-Nov-15 17:48:38

Here are the literacy and maths end of year goals for the other areas of learning they are here www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-years-foundation-stage-profile-handbook/exemplification-of-eyfs-profile-expected-descriptors
Literacy
This involves encouraging children to read and write, both through listening to others reading, and being encouraged to begin to read and write themselves. Children must be given access to a wide range of reading materials for example books, poems, and other written materials to ignite their interest.

ELG 09 Reading: children read and understand simple sentences. They use phonic knowledge to decode regular words and read them aloud accurately. They also read some common irregular words. They demonstrate understanding when talking with others about what they have read.

ELG 10 Writing: children use their phonic knowledge to write words in ways which match their spoken sounds. They also write some irregular common words. They write simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others. Some words are spelt correctly and others are phonetically plausible.

Mathematics

ELG 11 Numbers: children count reliably with numbers from 1 to 20, place them in order and say which number is one more or one less than a given number. Using quantities and objects, they add and subtract two single-digit numbers and count on or back to find the answer. They solve problems, including doubling, halving and sharing.

ELG 12 Shape, space and measures: children use everyday language to talk about size, weight, capacity, position, distance, time and money to compare quantities and objects and to solve problems. They recognise, create and describe patterns. They explore characteristics of everyday objects and shapes and use mathematical language to describe them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now