Talk

Advanced search

When is the right time to do a taster day at a potential new school?

(10 Posts)
oinker Wed 11-Nov-15 09:12:41

We are relocating in May 2016.....

I have found a school for the children and have arranged a taster day. It's in 3 weeks time. I'm now thinking I've arranged it too soon. The school has not said it's a bad idea.confused The children are excited by the idea of a new school and the move. I don't think they fully understand. They are aged 4 and 6.

Anyone else done taster days? How soon before the move did you do it?

MMmomKK Wed 11-Nov-15 09:29:44

I think it doesn't matter. If they are exited now - no reason not to do it.

They are small, so they won't understand what it really mean to leave the place/school they are used to. At some point later, when everyone will be telling them goodbyes and "we'll miss you" - they might get sad and a bit worried about the uncertainty of a new place.Tester day won't do much to change it, regardless of when it is.

But if they have a fun time now, that they are still happy and exited - at least you will be able to say - "remember how much fun you had when..."

On the other hand all of this would still be true if you move the tester day to some time in the winter term.

oinker Wed 11-Nov-15 09:40:14

Thanks

I was hoping I would get an agreeable reply.

Makes me feel so much bettersmile

Topsy34 Wed 11-Nov-15 09:42:39

I would do it now and then if there are issues, you arent happy, they aren't happy etc it gives you time to find another.

I would imagine there would be time to do a second taster day closer to the move as well?

TeenAndTween Wed 11-Nov-15 11:55:30

Not really answering the question, but is this a state school in England?

If so, surely you can't guarantee a place there as they won't be able to hold them until May. So you run the risk of them getting all excited, but there being no place.

(Obviously if private, or if other rules apply then just ignore me)

christinarossetti Wed 11-Nov-15 12:00:43

If the school is 'potential' then definitely go and spend the day there now.

That will help you and they know whether it feels right, and either put your mind at rest or give you time to look for somewhere else.

NoSquirrels Wed 11-Nov-15 12:11:49

I assume it's a private school, as taster days are unlikely for state school until a place is definite, which is usually conditional on actually having moved.

Yes, do the taster day now, why not - it will be pre-Christmas and hopefully fun things will be going on. And gives you wiggle-room if you need to look again.

Hoppinggreen Wed 11-Nov-15 12:38:23

Dd is doing a taster day at a Private Secondary tomorrow for September 2016 so I don't think you are doing it too early.

fleurdelacourt Wed 11-Nov-15 13:19:00

sorry but I do think it's too early.

A taster day for a secondary school is way different IMO - those are just sales pitches aimed directly at the children. They go round in a group and do fun activities and get given great food so that they want to go to that school!

If it's a primary school to start in May, then a taster day now would just confuse them surely if they're only 4 and 6? why not wait and do a taster day in March or April?

oinker Wed 11-Nov-15 21:03:30

Hi

Thanks for all your views.

It is a private school...

We will do it sooner rather than later just in case we decide it isn't suitable.
This then gives us time to look at other possibilities.

Thanks again....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now