Talk

Advanced search

Colet Court Open Day

(8 Posts)
cronut Mon 09-Nov-15 17:16:09

Was anybody as underwhelmed as I was by the Colet Court Open Day on the weekend? DH said I don't get it because I'm not British but the headmaster did not inspire confidence or muster much enthusiasm. I know they don't need to try as they have a list of premier candidates longer than your arm but still ... what am I missing?

cherokeee Mon 09-Nov-15 18:17:20

What were you expecting to see/hear?

Mominatrix Tue 10-Nov-15 05:47:43

I find Open Mornings useless except to get a look-in at the facilities and get a peek at the other candidates. To get a better feel for the school, it is much more useful to visit during a normal school day.

nowirehangers Tue 10-Nov-15 09:09:43

Maybe it's not the right school for your ds? I was underwhelmed by a similar tier girls' prep school and didn't send my dds, even though they got places. But it's a personal thing, the school in question is undoubtedly fabulous and so is CC. It may not just be right for you and your family.

Youarenotthebossofme Tue 10-Nov-15 09:18:16

Maybe the Headmaster does not really 'inspire confidence or muster much enthusiasm' as CCs reputation does that for him already.
The facilities and results at the school speak for themselves.
And as you say, you are not British so perhaps the tradition means little to you and you were expecting the charismatic hard sell. At least you weren't just awed by the reputation but wanted to see/ feel for yourself what the school is like.
It's not a school for everyone.

BigGreenOlives Tue 10-Nov-15 09:20:27

If you don't like it don't make your son sit the exam to see if he gets in, just find another school which you do like. Latymer is mixed & very close by or you might prefer a state school. There are lots of options.

SuperWorried Tue 10-Nov-15 11:16:45

We found the day inspiring. The student music play at the beginning was wonderful and the headmaster was warm and inspirational. It has a very down to earth feel about the school, which is really refreshing. DS absolutely loved it. The weather was a bit dull but DS couldn't care less and was dragging me along rooms to rooms excited like a little rabbit. Just wish he would perform in a couple months time ...

firsttimer08 Tue 10-Nov-15 17:46:57

I had a similar feeling about the HM - let's just say that public speaking is not his forte or he wasn't v well prepared. We found the tour itself to be excellent and enjoyed seeing all the school has to offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now