Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Write From The Start

(12 Posts)
Upinthestars Thu 05-Nov-15 12:03:37

Hi

I bought this for my Yr 2 son who has dyspraxia. He is also left handed which I think maybe a cause for some of his bad handwriting.

He is very conscious that his writing is worse than his friends so I bought this to give it a go.

However, I am unsure where to start. Should we just start with book 2, do you think. I am keen not to do too boring tasks which he will soon tire of, but don't want to miss anything is book 1 is necessary.

Many thanks for any advice.

f1fan2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 12:12:17

If you think the book 1 will be boring but want to make sure he covers everything, how about little and often with a reward system? Even if the work is boring he can work towards a prize for completing it

Upinthestars Thu 05-Nov-15 13:09:19

Yes that might work. Do you think book 1 is necessary? I don't know anything about the system

Keeptrudging Thu 05-Nov-15 13:15:27

Book 1 is quite basic for his age, but still useful exercises to aid pencil control which he would benefit from anyway. It might build his confidence if you sell it to him as something to be moved through quicker as you know he can do trickier work?

Upinthestars Thu 05-Nov-15 13:26:55

That's very useful, thanks. I think we will start with book 1 then and see how we go. I guess I can judge if we can skip bits. He is happy to do it if it's for 10/15 mins a day.

Keeptrudging Thu 05-Nov-15 14:28:39

Fine motor skills exercises might help too. Things like picking up things with giant tweezers and dropping them into a bowl on the opposite side, clipping clothes pegs onto stiff card, squeezing a foam ball and holding, crumpling up a sheet of newspaper from flat on desk using one hand. Do these exercises with both hands, not just writing hand. Can't remember more off the top of my head, apologies if not useful.

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 05-Nov-15 17:00:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Keeptrudging Thu 05-Nov-15 18:27:34

Yes, I used to use it as a settling activity first thing with my Special Needs pupils, who it would be safe to say were not 'morning people' grin! They found it calming.

Upinthestars Thu 05-Nov-15 21:10:05

That's good, thanks all. I was thinking of doing it after a snack when we get in every day after school. He's usually quite keen to do homework, etc. then.

keeptrudging - thanks, good advice. I will definitely concentrate start concentrating on those. He does struggle, bless.

blaeberry Thu 05-Nov-15 21:40:36

Lego and play dough is also good for fine motor skills and they are often happy to do those for a good whole unsupervised smile

Keeptrudging Fri 06-Nov-15 07:12:51

Re left - handedness, get him to turn his paper/himself sideways rather than writing straight on, if you Google you'll find a picture of best writing position for left - handers. This will be more comfortable for him.

My son has dyspraxia, he wasn't diagnosed until end of primary because they thought his issues were down to his ADHD. PE was particularly difficult, judging distance/speed when playing ball games etc, and extended writing. As he went into secondary he started using a laptop for extended writing/exams. If you can get your son to learn to touch type, that will also benefit him. BBC Dancemat Typing is good for little ones, lots of fun! You can also get a ruler with a raised ridge down the middle, as drawing lines is tricky.

Upinthestars Fri 06-Nov-15 10:04:42

More useful information, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now