Talk

Advanced search

Quick straw poll - what age was your primary school child when they did the Titanic as a class project?

(43 Posts)
OhBuggerandArse Thu 05-Nov-15 09:53:51

Could you post briefly if your kids have done the Titanic, saying their age and the class they were in when the did? Would also be really helpful to know where you are in the UK, in case this makes a difference to curriculum guidance.

I'm asking because our kids' Class 4 (in Scotland, so 8 year olds) have just been stopped half way through their project on the Titanic because one parent has complained, saying that it's age inappropriate.

I'm trying to address the procedural issues around one parent being able to affect the curriculum for 33 kids separately, but it would be hugely helpful to get an idea of what age the topic is commonly done as well. A quick google of online curriculum resources looks to me as if it's a perfectly common topic for primary aged kids, and I've heard anecdotally of other teachers (in the same school and others) doing it with this year group too.

I'd be very grateful for your help!

PatriciaHolm Thu 05-Nov-15 10:17:20

Early in Yr5 so age 9 - DD did it last year, DS is doing it now.

OhBuggerandArse Thu 05-Nov-15 10:25:35

Thanks, Patricia! Anyone else?

WishIWasWonderwoman Thu 05-Nov-15 10:30:33

Not Titanic but Wahine Disaster was year 3 for mine (a ferry that capsized in a New Zealand harbour, lead to over 50 deaths).

Titanic was covered in year 7 but clearly marine disasters were considered appropriate earlier than that.

lucymootoo Thu 05-Nov-15 10:46:48

Titanic topic done in primary 6 at my school.

OhBuggerandArse Thu 05-Nov-15 11:09:43

Thanks both, and a quick bump...

OhBuggerandArse Thu 05-Nov-15 12:26:31

Anyone else?

mrz Thu 05-Nov-15 19:22:44

Reception

mrz Thu 05-Nov-15 19:26:19

Probably should add it was a child initiated topic that came about from the interest of a group of children. When they came into my Y1 class they asked to do more about the topic and are still fascinated

swisscheesetony Thu 05-Nov-15 19:29:08

P1 Scotland - they're studying local loss of life on fishing boats. In fact some of the children are descendants of men lost.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 05-Nov-15 19:35:47

P4 - Titanic in Northern Ireland.

ShowOfBloodyStumps Thu 05-Nov-15 19:38:24

Y3 here so 7 and 8-year-olds.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 05-Nov-15 19:42:06

Early year 6 here (Hampshire). So 10/11.

Around the same we tried watching a documentary about it and younger DC (then Yr 4, nearly 9) found it quite upsettng and couldn't watch. But it was aimed at adults.

I would think that it's a topic that could be suitable for any promary children providing it is handled sensitively.

swisscheesetony Thu 05-Nov-15 19:44:19

Can I just add on a slightly flippant note that "frozen" shows the royal ship going down and the parents lost to the sea. Find me a 3 year old who's not seen frozen. ;)

enderwoman Thu 05-Nov-15 20:09:38

Ds is doing it now (y5)

Mominatrix Thu 05-Nov-15 20:15:22

Year 3.

babymouse Thu 05-Nov-15 20:15:57

Not the UK, but I remember getting a book on the titanic and the exploration of the ship when I was eight and I was absolutely fascinated by it. I read that book so many times!

megletthesecond Thu 05-Nov-15 20:16:08

DS did t in Y1. He was 6 and a bit and it really upset him. He had a few nightmares. They had to dress as passengers from various classes and he was a scared being third class. He kept asking me if we were poor during that time, I think he thought something awful would happen to us.

Fwiw he's a pretty worldly wise child. He knew bad things happened in the world but titanic really shook him. I had to speak to his teacher or giver her the heads up. However no obvious long term effects and no other topic has upset him.

yeOldeTrout Thu 05-Nov-15 20:17:01

Cor, blimey, Reception???

DS was yr6 in a private school. Other DC have never studied it (eldest yr9).

LittleMissGreen Thu 05-Nov-15 20:20:33

Mine haven't done it in school but they all know about it. As a family we definitely went to a titanic exhibition when DS3 would have been in reception.

southeastastra Thu 05-Nov-15 20:21:45

not sure my ds had it as a topic at school but he was obsessed with the titanic when he was about 8? really obsessed - used to make lego titanics to sink in the bath. it's just one of those subjects that caputre the imagination.

EskSmith Thu 05-Nov-15 21:02:33

England Y3, DD was 7 and is far and away her favourite topic ever. Perfectly reasonable topic for that age range IMHO.

YesterdayOnceMore Thu 05-Nov-15 21:07:44

England, in yr 4 and haven't done it yet.

Witchend Thu 05-Nov-15 21:13:57

Never did it in class as far as I know, but ds was very interested in it when he was abut year 2 and chose to read a lot about it and watch documentaries on it.

Mind you his interest came via a documentary on sinking of the Bismarck, which perhaps isn't the standard 6yo documentary of choice.

Thatrabbittrickedme Thu 05-Nov-15 21:53:43

DD Y3 hasn't done a class project as such but they've clearly discussed it as she was telling me all about the story just last weekend, we've not discussed it at home so it must have come from school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now