Talk

Advanced search

School Run from North London (Golders Green) to West London

(29 Posts)
sl280 Wed 04-Nov-15 15:47:32

Having no experience of the school run traffic - is it doable for us to live in North London (around Golder Green) and driving the kids to school in Hammersmith/Holland Park area or is it madness?

originalmavis Wed 04-Nov-15 15:53:24

You should try a dry run. Coming from north to central was a bitch last week because of the Finchley fire.

keely79 Wed 04-Nov-15 15:57:14

I think it would be a nightmare if it's Hammersmith - it is really busy in the mornings. Would you be able to get public transport instead? Tube likely to be a lot quicker I would think.

MMmomKK Wed 04-Nov-15 16:16:23

How old are the kids? And which schools are you considering? If it is, say, a super-selective-one-of-the-top-in-the-country - and your kids are of secondary school age, than travelling a longer distance can make more sense.

Otherwise - not sure why you'd want to do it.

brokenmouse Wed 04-Nov-15 16:31:06

That would be hideous. Don't do it.

sl280 Wed 04-Nov-15 16:53:24

My 4 year old has a place at Norland Place in Holland Park and I originally wanted to move to Golders Green area. But I guess it sounds like I would be mad to try drive her there.

Any suggestions of nice areas to live for families near Norland Place prep? Not Holland Park too expensive

originalmavis Wed 04-Nov-15 16:58:28

Depends on price and size. You won't get much change out of £800k for a 2 bed unless you go over the roundabout, or up to North Kensington (ie Ladbroke Grove).

sanam2010 Wed 04-Nov-15 18:33:21

maybe look at ravenscourt park or shepherds bush or maidavale, def not golders green

hibbleddible Wed 04-Nov-15 22:33:11

Don't do it, seriously your life would be hell!

Shepherd's bush or Hammersmith would be good options, or Acton if your budget is more stretched.

hibbleddible Wed 04-Nov-15 22:33:58

Also I wouldn't recommend living in golders green full stop!

MarvellousMarv Wed 04-Nov-15 22:42:25

If you want to live in Golders Green can you not find a school there?

It would be completely mad to go back and forth from N London to H Park twice a day. And the stress over days when the traffic was even worse and made you late for school, or even worse, pick up would be immense. You would spend 4 hours a day in the car and be a long way away for the days when they ring and say she has tummy ache or seems a bit hot and feverish and can you collect her asap.

sl280 Thu 05-Nov-15 06:15:03

We mainly want to a good sizeable house 4-5 bedrooms thats why hammersmith not really an option.

js golders green not nice to live in?

originalmavis Thu 05-Nov-15 08:19:58

Depends on budget. I'm near norland and something like that is squillions. Have you another school lined up?

keely79 Thu 05-Nov-15 11:30:41

Perhaps Ealing or Acton and travel to the school on the Central line? But is Norland such a good school that you would choose where to live on that basis? There are a lot of good London schools which may have availability open up now that the places are being allocated.

darlingbudsofjuly Thu 05-Nov-15 11:49:13

It would be utter hell. Can't you find another school?

brokenmouse Thu 05-Nov-15 11:55:51

We mainly want to a good sizeable house 4-5 bedrooms

anywhere nice in London that's going to be well over a million pounds. What is your budget?

hibbleddible Fri 06-Nov-15 00:15:56

What draws you to holders green?

I know both shepherds bush, Hammersmith, and golders green well.

Golders green is overpriced, dull, and has a big problem with antisocial behaviour.

ThruUlikeAshortcut Fri 06-Nov-15 00:27:09

Driving anywhere in London during rush hour will be a nightmare, especially a long distance such as GG to HP.

I would go west as previous posters have suggested and look at Shepherds Bush, Acton and Ruislip, taking the Central Line to school. That whole area is just a snarl up during rush hour, lunchtime and even Sundays! Honestly avoid it at all costs!

sl280 Fri 06-Nov-15 04:07:13

Budget is under 2 million? Is that doable?

Can I drive from Acton, Shepherds Bush etc to Norland?

Is SB safe though for a family?

Problem is we live abroad and will not come back to UK until 2017 when DD starts school so hard to find schools from here

originalmavis Fri 06-Nov-15 07:32:02

Are you Brits/Londoners? Have you lived here or know people here?

You really need to decide where you are going to live according to work, then target schools within a quick drive or walking distance. You can more easily more a small child than a home.

sl280 Fri 06-Nov-15 08:41:55

Yes we are Brits but for us a good school is more important as it is so competitive. Husband will work in the City and my work is flexible. That is why as DD has place at Norland prob best to find somewhere nearby but we do not know this area well thus wants to know which areas close by are best for us

Eastpoint Fri 06-Nov-15 08:52:00

With primary schools you really want to live nearby as they won't be able to do anything spontaneous after school if you are dreading the 25-45 minute journey home. There are nice houses around Brook Green (Aynhoe, Sterndale etc) which would be much cheaper than the other side of the Shepherds Bush roundabout & you could still walk/bus but it is a very desirable neighbourhood so the houses might be too expensive. Agate road & the other roads around there on the west side of Hammersmith Grove are good sized family houses but might again be too expensive and won't seem like very much house for £2m.

Paperm0ver Fri 06-Nov-15 08:56:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sl280 Fri 06-Nov-15 09:56:51

Hi Paper my child does not have autism though...

sl280 Fri 06-Nov-15 09:57:24

Thanks Eastpoint very useful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now